Applying to both Dental and Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Turkez

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to apply to both dental and medical schools. Is this possible? I understand that some dental schools would frown at this and would be less likely to admit a student knowing that the student is applying to medical school in addition to dental school. However, I would like to know if dental schools would or can know that a student is applying to medical schools in addition to dental schools and whether I can withhold that information from them. Thank you in advance for any advice regarding this subject.

Members don't see this ad.

Turkez said:
I would like to apply to both dental and medical schools. Is this possible? I understand that some dental schools would frown at this and would be less likely to admit a student knowing that the student is applying to medical school in addition to dental school. However, I would like to know if dental schools would or can know that a student is applying to medical schools in addition to dental schools and whether I can withhold that information from them. Thank you in advance for any advice regarding this subject.
I am pretty sure that you have to put it down on AADSAS. If I'm wrong then definitely hide it.....it is frowned on by both adcoms and dedicated pre-dents.

If you really feel that you need to apply to both, then you need to sit down and re-think your plans. Dentistry and medicine have a lot in common, but they are also very different careers. You should pick one and apply to it. Further, adcoms will and should know if you apply to both. They ALL look down on it because it shows that you aren't that dedicated to dentistry. To not tell them or lie about it in interviews is really unethical and a very bad idea if you get caught. If one finds out, all the others will know real quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know a girl who applied to both and didn't tell the schools about applying to both med and dent schools. She was asked about it in an interview...so it seems they do find out.

A family friend applied to both dental school and medical school a few years ago. He ended up getting to both, and in the end chose to go to med school in NY.

As others have pointed out, you should be prepared to talk about why you are applying to both. Even if AADSAS does not ask for it specifically, some secondary applications want to know if you are applying to any other health science schools. But if you have a prepared answer for why you are applying to both you should be ok.

But applying to both does show some degree of indecisiveness. Though the two professions are in the healthcare they are tremendously different. I suggest spending more time observing each profession and looking at all the positive and negative aspects to help you make a decision.

Good luck.

I agree with all of the above. You need to spend more time in each field and decide first, then apply.

Honestly, I do not see how someone can seriously pursue both fields. I wouldn't be a physician if you magically made me one right now yet I can not wait to get into someone's mouth. (hey...keep ur mind out of the gutter!!! :laugh: )

My friend who is in PA school for the life of him can't see what the draw is to being a dentist but according to him he was born to be a doctor (or semi-doctor, or whatever a PA is). Most of the people I talk to in these two fields feel this way. The similarity between the two professions stops at the white coats we both wear, IMO.

Turkez said:

yes, they will ask on the application. and they will DEFINITELY ask in the interview.

not just that, your application itself would be telling: your extracurrs and resume should be a buildup to what you want to do in the future. you can't volunteer in just hospitals and pre-med stuff for four years, and then out of the blue apply to dental school. make sure you have enough pre-reqs/extracurrs to back up to whatever you apply to.

either way, one thing to keep in mind is that it will be $$$ to apply to both med and dental school. even applying to dental school itself is already $$, not to mention the mass amount of TIME it'll take up too once your interviews start rolling in (be prepared to miss/make up lots of school). it'll be easier on the wallet and the mind (less exhausting) if you narrow it down to just med or dental.

Maybe you could apply to law and business schools as well. Oh - forgot about pharmacy and PhD programs - better throw those in too!

jaap said:
Maybe you could apply to law and business schools as well. Oh - forgot about pharmacy and PhD programs - better throw those in too!
Turkez, told you that pre-dents frown on it.....didn't I. :smuggrin:

mmm thats pretty much the worst idea ever

you're the kind of applicant that gets spat at. not literally, but you get the idea. seeing as how you are so insecure about which career you want to go into, go head and apply to both. maybe you'll make the next person in line look better.

GOOD LUCK :thumbdown:

Turkez said:

Would I have the same problem with D-School and Clown College too. :laugh: :laugh:

i can see this becoming one of those threads with 93 responses all saying the same things over and over... then again this is already my 2nd post so i guess i'm just as bad :rolleyes: