Applying to CA-1 From Prelim Surgery

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDF1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, MS-III/IV here considering surgery vs anesthesia. I am about to apply to preliminary surgery programs to give myself the extra year to decide between the two. My question is will there be less CA-1 spots available when i apply during my prelim year?? Im wondering because as i understand it, as a MS-IV you apply to your prelim and your CA-1 year at the same time, or am I mistaken?? Is/was anyone else in my situation?? Is there an alternate way to go about this?? Thanks to all.

MDF1

Members don't see this ad.

There are 2 types of anesthesia programs: categorical and advanced. Categorical include all 4 years. Advanced only includes from CA-1 to CA-3. You have to do a prelim year. When you rank an advanced position, a second rank list opens for you to rank your prelim years. If you are applying now, you would be applying for a 2007 PGY-1 surgery spot and a 2008 PGY-2 (CA-1) anesthsia spot. So you've got several options

1. Apply for prelim surg and anes. If you like surg, drop out of anes and stay with surg, if you're able to switch from prelim surg to categorical surg. If you hate surg, then you suffer for your prelim year and then start anes.

2. Apply for categorical surg. If you like it, great. If you hate it, reapply for anes in Sept 2007 (2009 CA-1). You'll have to take a year off. However, there are quite a few programs with spots for people to come into outside the match, e.g., surgery residents who saw the light and switched to anesthesia.

3. Apply for prelim surg only. If you like it, you'll have to find a program that will accept you for the remaining 4 years. If you don't and want to do anesthesia, you'll have to reapply, and it will be like #2 above.

I was in your shoes and it was tough. I did prelim surgery and then started anesthesia but I applied as an MSIV. One strong word of caution is that if you do prelim surgery, make sure you know a lot about the program because the prelims tend to get worked without much love. i did mine at st. joes in Denver and it worked out well for me. i did a lot of cases and the program was generally pretty fair to all the interns.

If you are still undecided in a few months, it may be better to not pursue the categorical anesthesia programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
supahfresh said:
I was in your shoes and it was tough. I did prelim surgery and then started anesthesia but I applied as an MSIV. One strong word of caution is that if you do prelim surgery, make sure you know a lot about the program because the prelims tend to get worked without much love. i did mine at st. joes in Denver and it worked out well for me. i did a lot of cases and the program was generally pretty fair to all the interns.

If you are still undecided in a few months, it may be better to not pursue the categorical anesthesia programs.

That's the truth! I am at U of AZ and there are quite a few prelims here and so far I have definitely not been abused. This is a pretty laid back program I am having fun and doing cases.

Sugar72 said:
That's the truth! I am at U of AZ and there are quite a few prelims here and so far I have definitely not been abused. This is a pretty laid back program I am having fun and doing cases.

Ditto the last two posts for Prelim surgery at Virginia Mason. Good life, lots of learning. You get in the OR a lot.