MD Applying to Cali Residency Program from OOS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hiimjohn

Reaction score
Hi there! First poster here but long time lurker.

Do any of you have advice on applying for a California residency program as an out of state MD student? I understand that it may be challenging as I’m not a California resident (I’m located on the east coast with my long time girlfriend who currently has a CA drivers license but also lives here). I don’t think there’s a path for me to get CA residence but welcome advice on that front as well.

I’m aware that I should probably do an away rotation (open to thoughts on advantages/disadvantages for this subject as well), but would welcome broad feedback and advice.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I can phrase your question in a different way:

"What can I do to get into a competitive residency program?"

Get a good step 1 score, have research, have a good class rank, get good LORs, do an away rotation

Reactions: 1 users
Why do you want to go to Cali so badly? Would you be happy if you didn’t get in?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you want to go to Cali so badly? Would you be happy if you didn’t get in?
Honestly probably not... it’s always been a goal, and my girlfriend’s entire family is there. I (and my girlfriend) don’t have any ties to my current location, so there really isn’t any reason to stick around.

Will try my best per the above but anything CA specific would be helpful.

Honestly probably not... it’s always been a goal, and my girlfriend’s entire family is there. I (and my girlfriend) don’t have any ties to my current location, so there really isn’t any reason to stick around.

Just get good steps, show interest by rotating at a CA location. You on a sub-I doing a great job >>>anything else in getting an interview. Try and get a letter, and make a little piece of your PS talk about relocating. Be as far above average as you can at things. It’s not impossible to do, I personally don’t think it’s nearly as hard as it’s cracked up to be, it’s just a slightly harder version of getting into whatever specialty you like somewhere else. There are strong and weak programs in CA as there are in any other state. If you’re a US MD the doors are open to you provided you’re a strong applicant otherwise.

Reactions: 1 user

How serious are you two? Where is your family located? Why not move closer to your family if they’re in a less competitive place? What specialty are you thinking about?