Applying to Canadian MD while starting International MD this year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaggar

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pre-amble below, followed by question in bold

I'm a Canadian citizen who's been accepted to an international MD program (Ireland) starting Sept. 2021. I am considering applying once more to canadian med schools.

I've already read the requirements of all the canadian medical schools, and while most require someone enrolled in grad studies to finish it before matriculating to med school, there is nothing said about an applicant who is already in medical school. Also, some of the applications ask questions or request information that would, as a result, require me to disclose my studies at the international medical school

Having said that, are there any glaring issues with, or reasons to disqualify, my application, due to my situation - me being a canadian citizen attending international med school? (I've completed an undergraduate in canada, and meet all other requirements).

[and for anyone wondering - why apply again once you've already been accepted somewhere: Canadian medical school is half the cost plus would give me better chance at obtaining residency in canada. and for anyone wondering - why not wait another cycle: I don't want to give up this chance at medical school, as I don't know if I'll get another]

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone, OP here.

I closed this thread early (before any replies really) because I found most of the answer to my own question.

The most I can do, and least I should do, in my situation is to give the canadian schools I am about to apply to a solid explanation as to why I want to attend their school, despite already being in a medical school. Aside from this, its up to the medical school committees to judge this as good or bad.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.