Applying to Canadian Medical Schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cabruen, Aug 10, 2002.

1. cabruen

Resident [Any Field]
    I was wondering about the experiences U.S. citizens have had applying to Canadian medical schools.

I am a U.S. citizern, but my Mother, her sisters, and my Grandmother are Canadian citizens (though all of lived in the U.S. for over 20 years). I have been up there quite a bit spending time with my extended family. I would love to go to medical school there, but I don't have any clue about the issues.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Candide

Candide Junior Member

McGill U and Toronto U both have good med schools. More good news is that the AAMC does not consider Canadian med schools foreign; you don't have jump through hoops to get back into the US to practice. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get into these med schools as a US citizen. Think of the Canadian schools as very selective state schools that only take a couple out-of-state students each year.

4. Spidey

Spidey Leorl's official stalker

All Canadian med schools are good as far as I am concerned, but they are hard to get into if you are Canadian, and even harder if you are not a canadian citizen. You'd probably need stellar stats to get into mcgill or UT.

5. Thewonderer

Thewonderer Senior Member