Applying to Canadian Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cabruen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering about the experiences U.S. citizens have had applying to Canadian medical schools.

I am a U.S. citizern, but my Mother, her sisters, and my Grandmother are Canadian citizens (though all of lived in the U.S. for over 20 years). I have been up there quite a bit spending time with my extended family. I would love to go to medical school there, but I don't have any clue about the issues.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

McGill U and Toronto U both have good med schools. More good news is that the AAMC does not consider Canadian med schools foreign; you don't have jump through hoops to get back into the US to practice. Unfortunately, it is very difficult to get into these med schools as a US citizen. Think of the Canadian schools as very selective state schools that only take a couple out-of-state students each year.

All Canadian med schools are good as far as I am concerned, but they are hard to get into if you are Canadian, and even harder if you are not a canadian citizen. You'd probably need stellar stats to get into mcgill or UT.