Applying to clinical psychology PhD program with masters in occupational therapy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvm25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a masters degree in occupational therapy and am interested in getting my PhD in clinical psych. I understand a PhD usually takes 4-5 years which is quite an investment of time.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience applying to a clinical PhD program with a masters from another discipline (OT,Social work,etc) and if anyone got accepted.

I have sent a few emails to schools but am just interested in hearing other responses as well.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have a masters degree in occupational therapy and am interested in getting my PhD in clinical psych. I understand a PhD usually takes 4-5 years which is quite an investment of time.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience applying to a clinical PhD program with a masters from another discipline (OT,Social work,etc) and if anyone got accepted.

I have sent a few emails to schools but am just interested in hearing other responses as well.

Thank you.

Not to be nosy, but I'd actually be interested to hear why you're leaving the field. I thought OT was supposed to be a growth field with good security and prospects. (I suspect you'll find many on here who wouldn't say the same about psychology...)

not leaving the field :)

Just curious as to what options for the future may be should I ever decide to pursue academics again

I understand a PhD usually takes 4-5 years which is quite an investment of time.

The usual time-to-completion is more like six years. Five years is generally considered to be the "fast track." Then, in most states, you have at least another year after graduation before you can become licensed.