OHSU Clinical Psychology PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Cinnabon

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there was an older post 3 years back regarding this newer program which is applying for APA accreditation on contingency soon. I remember the sentiment was pretty optimistic and I just wanted to get some updated insight from those in the field if it might be worth applying to, even though normally I wouldn't remotely consider applying to a new program applying for accreditation?

Its funding seems very solid as do the names associated with the program. I'm a RA at a VAMC right now and although I don't plan on having a career in the VA it does offer some pretty solid early career training, and this program has strong VA ties (in my research interests as well). Given its safe funding and names behind it, it really does seem like it'll jump to be a top program but I may be being an optimist.

Link to program website: Clinical Psychology Program | OHSU

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know anything about their psych program but OHSU is top notch for everything else so I imagine the standards for this program will also be high.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know anything about their psych program but OHSU is top notch for everything else so I imagine the standards for this program will also be high.
That was my rationale because it's a newer program it's "only" getting around 100 apps right now. I expect that to balloon drastically after they get accreditation and I don't want FOMO for not applying.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
In looking at their site, they have reported completing the site visit. Perhaps an update on status in the near future.

In my book, a well-funded but non accredited program that meets licensure requirements is still less risky than an expensive accredited program. Depends on your future goals though.

Reactions: 4 users
In my book, a well-funded but non accredited program that meets licensure requirements is still less risky than an expensive accredited program. Depends on your future goals though.

+1

I'd want an update on their accreditation status, which could happen come interview time so applying might still be worth it. Also, be sure that funding is explained. Like, how much pressure will there be on you to fund yourself through TL1s, F31s, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd be kind of shocked if the program at OHSU didn't get accredited. I have some colleagues/friends who are faculty there (not in psych, but they do very psychosocial-based research in their respective fields of medicine). My sense is that the reputation can vary a good bit from department to department, and I might be worried about a psychology PhD program getting shoved to the side a bit there, as OHSU is a medical school/teaching hospital/AMC first and foremost. That said, I think you'd likely get very good training there. FWIW, they don't seem *quite* as funding obsessed as many AMCs--they still value funding a lot, of course, but it's entirely possible to be promoted to Associate Professor or even possibly make full professor without an R01, which isn't the case at many AMCs.

It's a well-resourced, fully funded program. Students have no difficulty getting practicum experiences they want since it's so connected within the wider system. You should hear more about accreditation by the time you need to apply to programs so I will check back then. Their first cohort will also apply for internship this year so you can get more info about it when interviews take place too.

It's a well-resourced, fully funded program. Students have no difficulty getting practicum experiences they want since it's so connected within the wider system. You should hear more about accreditation by the time you need to apply to programs so I will check back then. Their first cohort will also apply for internship this year so you can get more info about it when interviews take place too.
Cool cool, sounds like it's worth a definite application! Its strong ties to the VA is a huge plus for me as well as its solid funding.

The program was accredited on contingency! Also to note, their admit class has been only 4 slots per year so far. Hence, the program sounds super competitive to enter at the moment, imagine what it would look like in the future. Would someone still make it to a good neuropsych internship and postdoc through their program? they don't seem to have an NP track nor specify that they follow the Houston guidelines, would you still recommend to someone with neuropsych career goal?