applying to dental and pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtmbmw

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My question for everyone here is: Would i be frowned upon by the evaluator or committee if i apply to both pharmacy and dental school? Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

short answer, yes

Why in the world would you even apply to both? I would NEVER use pharmacy (or any other field for that matter) as a backup if that was your intent just because the GPA stats are a .1 or .2 lower on average. You may ruin your shot for both. They are both great fields but choose one... they are so different.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why would you apply to 2 totally different health care fields???

Why would you apply to 2 totally different health care fields???

because you want to help people and realize you could do it in more than one way.
Why do you think pharm school is so negative on a dental school application or vice versa?

When you pick a career path usually u will follow that road, not try to spread and c where u can get in based on how well u did in ur academic career. IMO Careers like these differ a lot from each other in practice

Applying to both may show a genuine interest in neither.

My question for everyone here is: Would i be frowned upon by the evaluator or committee if i apply to both pharmacy and dental school? Thank you!!
I don't think it would be frowned upon by the school you're applying to. If you think about it, they don't have a way of knowing that you're applying to both schools (unless you tell them or unless you apply to both programs at the same school, e.g. UCSF pharmacy and UCSF dentistry). If you tell them that you're applying to both, they would probably have concerns about your interest in and dedication to the field.
More importantly, it's important to figure out which of these you want to do. You can help people both ways, but the ways in which you do so are significantly different--and it's worth spending an extra 40 hours to shadow each profession to make sure it's the right one for you before you spend 40 years in the profession. Also, applying to schools in both professions is a very expensive way to keep your options open.

I don't think it would be frowned upon by the school you're applying to. If you think about it, they don't have a way of knowing that you're applying to both schools (unless you tell them or unless you apply to both programs at the same school, e.g. UCSF pharmacy and UCSF dentistry). If you tell them that you're applying to both, they would probably have concerns about your interest in and dedication to the field.
More importantly, it's important to figure out which of these you want to do. You can help people both ways, but the ways in which you do so are significantly different--and it's worth spending an extra 40 hours to shadow each profession to make sure it's the right one for you before you spend 40 years in the profession. Also, applying to schools in both professions is a very expensive way to keep your options open.

there are often questions that will ask which other schools you applied to,
they will find out someway or another and then all your chances would be shot

there are often questions that will ask which other schools you applied to,
they will find out someway or another and then all your chances would be shot

if that would be the case then you might have to lie. cmone you are not going to tell them that you are applying to two different programs at two different schools. I dont think they have enough time to be calling other schools or people just to make sure you are applying only to one program.

The ADCOM might asked you if you have shadowed both professions and taken deep thoughts about it.....

Im confused? Which one is your back up one?

Maybe instead of rushing into this cycle, take a year off and decide what you really want to do. Then when you have picked one, you won't ruin your chances of getting into that profession. If you rush into it now, you are wasting lots of money on the application esp since either school won't like that you are not committed.

waiting a year to figure it out sounds like a good suggestion, but by all means, do not start being dishonest on any of your applications. Lies have a way of catching up to you and you don't want to lay your professional career foundation on a bed of lies.

waiting a year to figure it out sounds like a good suggestion, but by all means, do not start being dishonest on any of your applications. Lies have a way of catching up to you and you don't want to lay your professional career foundation on a bed of lies.

Not to mention, schools can take away your acceptance/degree/license anytime - even post graduation if they find out something unethical about you.

Please don't. This is a sure-fire way to waste time and money, while getting rejected from 2 fields. Make up your mind.

Frowned upon? Well, if either school finds out, then you won't be sitting well with adcoms - that's for sure. I say find something and stick to it. Dentistry & Pharmacy are equally as difficult with gaining admission...I know plenty of people who have gotten rejected from pharmacy school but accepted into dental school (edit), vice versa. However, that doesn't mean you should be like them. Do the right them by focusing on 1 thing, either as a pharmacy or dentistry bound student, and you'll have an easier convincing yourself of choosing a particular career to pursue...seriously! avoid this confusion. take time to think about it by shadowing (dentists & pharmacists) or working (as a pharm tech or dental assistant) in both fields

Last edited:
First of all, you should figure out what you want. What if you get into dental/pharm school and halfway through you decide, I don't like this. Now you've just wasted your time, the school's time, and taken a spot away from someone who really wanted to be a dentist/pharmacist.

thanks for all the responses!! i will definitely take some time to figure things out first..