Applying to dental school with out full filling dental pre-reqs.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tooth knockn

Treat others how you want to be treated
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan in applying this coming cycle to dental schools but I have completed about 1/3 of the dental pre-reqs.

Any opinions , comments , experiences ?

I have like a 3.3gpa, and taking DAT in June or July

Members don't see this ad.

Which ones do you still need to take?

All pre-reqs need to be completed before you matriculate. They would still interview you, but a potential acceptance would be conditional on you completing those courses with acceptable grades by the time school started. I have yet to hear of anyone who had an exception to this.

So it looks like you have about 1.5 years to get those courses done. Get crackin'. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted this cycle without taking one of the school's prereqs. They told me to simply complete the course and then I would be good to go... didn't even really say anything about any certain grade I needed to earn, but the class is super easy so I'm not too worried. I'd say just to get going on those classes and make sure you have enough time to complete them by the time you start ds! good luck!

depends on the school, although most will be fine if you are missing one or two classes. Just a guess that if you are missing a bunch (like 2/3) they probably won't look as closely at your app.

hi TK,

I applied last june with only 1/3 of my pre-reqs. When I applied first batch, i still needed to take, anatomy, biochem, ochem I + II(self studied it for DAT), and Phys I and II. I'm in my last semester of my career changing postbacc and will have all the classes done by may before i matriculate.

I've had 1 interview (accepted) and another interview next week.

what i'm trying to say is that it is possible, especially since they saw that I did well during my undergrad grades too for my non-science degree. But with that being said, it puts you at a SERIOUS disadvantage applying as early as this, and just like the poster said above... it's probably best if you apply and only have 1 or 2 classes remaining. i feel like i got really lucky lol.

PM if you have any more questions and i'll be glad to help

Last edited:
I have only taken bio 1&2 and chem 1 and English 1&2.

I have only taken bio 1&2 and chem 1 and English 1&2.

The DAT is going to be hard for you then. I do not think you can get in with only taking those prerequistes because each time you get an A-B in a prerequiste, it validates to the schools that you can handle challenging science classes. You really need to take orgo before applying. Maybe, take a gap year, study for the DAT and take it after all the prerequisties are complete. GL.

I plan in applying this coming cycle to dental schools but I have completed about 1/3 of the dental pre-reqs?I have like a 3.3gpa, and taking DAT in June or July

Which of the two do you believe will most impress adcoms?

You need to take chem 2, ochem 1/2, and phsyics 1/2... that a decent amount not to have completed. You essentially have 4 semesters to take them: this summer, fall, spring, following summer. Make sure you can fit that all in before applying. IMO, I wouldn't apply this summer.

I assume you haven't taken micro or biochem, which I think some schools require or "highly recommend" now.

With your current situation, you would need to have a completed application (includes DAT) ready to be submitted right when it comes out. If you take the DAT in July, your app is not complete and won't be reviewed until the DAT scores are received by the schools.

This is all besides the fact that you need chem 2, ochem 1, 2 to do well on the DAT. Can you teach yourself all that material and study it and the rest of the material to be ready for a June or July DAT (which would be late for you anyways, imo)?

Will you have time to take upper division science courses that schools do look at? Some specifically say the more the better.

What if you don't improve your GPA or actually hurt it? How many schools are you going to apply to? Have you shadowed?

You really haven't provided much information. I think it would be a waste of time and money to apply this cycle unless you think you can really pull it off.

Best of luck.

I plan in applying this coming cycle to dental schools but I have completed about 1/3 of the dental pre-reqs.

Any opinions , comments , experiences ?

I have like a 3.3gpa, and taking DAT in June or July

you are allowed to do this.... however... if/when accepted, there will be a written stipulation where they'll want to see proof of completion of pre-reqs before matriculating... if you fail to provide such, they'll revoke the acceptance.