applying to EM and IM at the same program..how will this look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spacemanspiff

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm straddling between going into EM and IM and I do not want to do a combined specialty. How will this look if I'm applying to the same programs but under EM and IM? Will this be conveyed as having a lesser degree of interest to the PDs, especially when I'm applying to both at the same location? Location is important to me b/c I am trying to move back to SoCal. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Pick one. I realize that location for residency may be important to you, but this will be your profession for so many years. Go after the one you really want.

Sometimes they find out, usually the do not. The IM dept in most programs is in a separate location/different R coordinator/etc

But, I would think most faculty would understand why someone would apply to both fields. Although they are VERY different in terms of management, the knowlege base is fairly similar.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I'm straddling between going into EM and IM and I do not want to do a combined specialty. How will this look if I'm applying to the same programs but under EM and IM? Will this be conveyed as having a lesser degree of interest to the PDs, especially when I'm applying to both at the same location? Location is important to me b/c I am trying to move back to SoCal. Thanks!

We wouldn't even notice at my shop. Unless you tried to couples match with yourself.