Applying to Externships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've been tempted to email sites I applied to but haven't heard of yet, but so far I've resisted the urge. Some of them state that the actual deadline is Feb, so maybe they actually mean it...I'm just impatient as I think I had all my interviews last year in the last two weeks of January!

Anyone heard back from any child sites?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldnt worry too much about it. Our deadline in Chicago is Feb 12th for most sites. I would think that if the sites you are applying to have intern and post-doc applications, they arent going to think about externs until after that cluster-f is over and those decisions are made.

Isn't February 12th the first day students can mail out their application materials, not the deadline? I'm assuming your school takes part in ACEPT.

Chicago is very competitive, even just for externships. Many students apply to 5-10 sites. However, I'm hoping as an Advanced Practicum applicant I'll have no concerns at all (I've already done assessment and therapy practica, in addition to a first year community service practicum where I was supervised by an Ed.D. doing motivational interviewing with adolescents). I'm mostly look at university counseling centers and a couple primary care sites.

I think a lot of people on this thread are at NYC area schools, where Jan 15 is the first day you can send out applications. Sounds like it's a similar situation in Chicago though! I'm an advanced student also, but the process is still competitive, as there's a bunch of us. One of the sites I applied to apparently received over 100 applications this year for 2 slots!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think a lot of people on this thread are at NYC area schools, where Jan 15 is the first day you can send out applications. Sounds like it's a similar situation in Chicago though! I'm an advanced student also, but the process is still competitive, as there's a bunch of us. One of the sites I applied to apparently received over 100 applications this year for 2 slots!!!!

Ridiculous! Externship is becoming the "new" Internship. Remind me again why we have to get postdoc hours after so many years of working for free?:rolleyes:

i'm a NY student and i haven't heard back from many programs yet and i'm getting really anxious! i feel like i'm a really strong candidate--excellent lor's, 1.5 years of practica (250 face-to-face hrs, 8 clients, 2 groups), pubs, previous career in MH so i'm very aware of meta issues ( and applied to relevant externship, all inpt and medical), gotten good feedback on my CL's. eep!

i'm wondering if maybe some hospitals are sticking more firmly to not replying until they get all the apps? i also wonder if i have hurt myself by applying between jan 15th and now (some folks I know overnighted everything to arrive on the 15th). does everything really have to arrive on the 15th or else your out, as opposed to collecting apps for a week or two and trying to find the best overall applicants?

i'm going to call and email today to ensure that everything arrived and (remind them of who i am). good luck all! fingers crossed!

i'm a NY student and i haven't heard back from many programs yet and i'm getting really anxious! i feel like i'm a really strong candidate--excellent lor's, 1.5 years of practica (250 face-to-face hrs, 8 clients, 2 groups), pubs, previous career in MH so i'm very aware of meta issues ( and applied to relevant externship, all inpt and medical), gotten good feedback on my CL's. eep!

i'm wondering if maybe some hospitals are sticking more firmly to not replying until they get all the apps? i also wonder if i have hurt myself by applying between jan 15th and now (some folks I know overnighted everything to arrive on the 15th). does everything really have to arrive on the 15th or else your out, as opposed to collecting apps for a week or two and trying to find the best overall applicants?

i'm going to call and email today to ensure that everything arrived and (remind them of who i am). good luck all! fingers crossed!

I applied to 4 counseling centers and 2 psychoanalytic institutes and have gotten interviews at 4. It does seem that the inpatient hospitals are slower to respond this year though as my classmates are still waiting to hear from most of them. I don't think the date you mail your apps out really matter as I mailed 4 out on the 16th and 2 on the 19th.

Certainly call and ask for some sort of a timeline but I'm sure you'll be fine!

I applied to 4 counseling centers and 2 psychoanalytic institutes and have gotten interviews at 4. It does seem that the inpatient hospitals are slower to respond this year though as my classmates are still waiting to hear from most of them. I don't think the date you mail your apps out really matter as I mailed 4 out on the 16th and 2 on the 19th.

Certainly call and ask for some sort of a timeline but I'm sure you'll be fine!

Thanks so much, and congratulations on your interviews! Argh, this process gives me PhD app flashbacks :rolleyes:. I'm 1/2 of a mind to start an interview thread for externships but i don't know if that will ameloriate or exacerbate our anxiety!

I got interview invites from one site earlier this week, and from two yesterday (all hospitals). They seemed to all want to schedule the interviews pretty quickly. I'm waiting to hear from 3, although one seems like a "no" as they received over 100 apps and have started interviewing already.

Fingers crossed for next week!

Any news for the rest of you?

I got interview invites from one site earlier this week, and from two yesterday (all hospitals). They seemed to all want to schedule the interviews pretty quickly. I'm waiting to hear from 3, although one seems like a "no" as they received over 100 apps and have started interviewing already.

Fingers crossed for next week!

Any news for the rest of you?

still waiting. eep! do you mind listing where you've heard from (or pming me)? thx!

still waiting. eep! do you mind listing where you've heard from (or pming me)? thx!

In terms of hospitals, I know people have interviewed at LIJ adult, NUMC, Elmhurst, Sagamore Children's, and Pilgrim, and that Creedmoor is interviewing in 2 weeks.

In terms of hospitals, I know people have interviewed at LIJ adult, NUMC, Elmhurst, Sagamore Children's, and Pilgrim, and that Creedmoor is interviewing in 2 weeks.

thanks so much. so far none of these are the ones i've applied to yet, which does make me feel better. :oops: good luck all!

thanks so much. so far none of these are the ones i've applied to yet, which does make me feel better. :oops: good luck all!

The one big thing I learned in my current externship is that your supervisor(s) make or break your externship experience and not the sites themselves. Even though I got my "first choice" last year, my experience was not optimal because of an unsupportive supervisor whereas others who had to go through the stress of applying for a second time to a set of additional externships had a much better experience.

Everyone gets an externship in the end so I've really been focusing on supervisor compatibility this time round as opposed to simply applying to well-known facilities.

The one big thing I learned in my current externship is that your supervisor(s) make or break your externship experience and not the sites themselves. Even though I got my "first choice" last year, my experience was not optimal because of an unsupportive supervisor whereas others who had to go through the stress of applying for a second time to a set of additional externships had a much better experience.

Everyone gets an externship in the end so I've really been focusing on supervisor compatibility this time round as opposed to simply applying to well-known facilities.

That is something I've experienced as well, so I did apply to a few internships that are "less competitive" but have amazing supervision. Still, externing at a site with great supervisors and plenty of supervision that also has an APA internship would be tops!

I just hate the waiting game, although I did get my first interview to a top choice today. Can't wait to know where i'm going next year!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also got an interview today at one of my top choices. Still waiting for one place. It definitely seems like the process is later this year compared to last. Last year around this time I feel like the majority of my class knew where they are going, now only a couple from my class and the class below have locked down a spot.

How long do most places give to make a decision? Last year my first choice accepted me before I heard from anywhere else I'd interviewed, so I have no experience with juggling possible (hopefully:xf:) offers.

I also got an interview today at one of my top choices. Still waiting for one place. It definitely seems like the process is later this year compared to last. Last year around this time I feel like the majority of my class knew where they are going, now only a couple from my class and the class below have locked down a spot.

How long do most places give to make a decision? Last year my first choice accepted me before I heard from anywhere else I'd interviewed, so I have no experience with juggling possible (hopefully:xf:) offers.

I think it varies--someonly give 48 hrs, some are more flexible. I just heard from one of my top and there are 3 others that I'd love that haven't extended invites yet. I'd love to have choices but I also wonder how to make those decisions!

This is something I've been thinking about a lot with this year's applications. I'm not sure what I'd do in a situation where I have offers from a site where I got along really well with the supervisor and liked the general atmosphere, and then a site that is very prestigious. Thinking of internship applications, I wonder whether having externed at a very well known site will significantly increase my chances of interviewing/matching compared to a less known but solid site? I plan on applying for internships in the NY area as well as elsewhere.

Any advice?

while you likely want at least 1 prestigious externship, what you're able to talk about, what you've learned, what you can do comes from experience itself, and if the less fancy externship is better for all that, it's very valuable. also, if you're applying to internship in the NYC area, directors may be more familiar with this local externship that provides high-quality training than one in say. iowa.

on another note, anyone heard from Bklyn VA?

Tx!

This is something I've been thinking about a lot with this year's applications. I'm not sure what I'd do in a situation where I have offers from a site where I got along really well with the supervisor and liked the general atmosphere, and then a site that is very prestigious. Thinking of internship applications, I wonder whether having externed at a very well known site will significantly increase my chances of interviewing/matching compared to a less known but solid site? I plan on applying for internships in the NY area as well as elsewhere.

Any advice?

I'd put the supervisor over the site name/prestige any day. Just because a site is "prestigious" DOES NOT mean that you will receive excellent supervision. I know many colleagues who had externships at "less prestigious" sites but received amazing supervision and really gained a ton out of their experiences. Conversely, I know many colleagues who were at more prestigious sites, yet the supervision was really lacking. Thus, their overall training and experience was lacking as well.

It's certainly a nice idea to be at a more prestigious externship. And that can/may have some role in your externship selection. But I personally believe it should not be the main factor - the supervision should be.

just had my interview at my top site--LOBED IT! but worried i came arcoss as too nervous. they won't let us know til the end of next week/begining after that. meanwhile i had a great interview at a very good site and they want to talk monday. i feel like the very good site is in the bag, but i LOVED the other one, and can see bot getting and not getting that spot. nervous! anyone every ask a site to wait for a week so you can get your feedback from others? i don't want to turn down a good sure thing for a possible awesome and end up with nothing!

Hey all,

Just thinking ahead (to NEXT summer) and wondering if anyone knows about NYC area externships that either start in the summer or are in fact summer externships that offer opportunites performing testing and assessment with both personality and cognitive measures. I have a lot of psychological assessment experience but will not have much in the way of cognitive and am starting to worry that I may struggle with the integrative testing report part of the internshp app if I want to try to get out in 4 years.

Any FB is greatly appreciated!

Check out Bellevue. They have a few different summer testing externships. I think one is in forensic, one is general psychology, and another is neuropsych (which will get you plenty of cognitive assessment experience, along with other things).

I've also heard that there are opportunities at something called Prep for Prep. I think this organization in NYC tests students from disadvantaged backgrounds who are being considered for scholarships to prep schools. Sorry, but I'm not too familiar with the details. Maybe someone else on SDN knows more about them, or you could perhaps Google it.

Check out Bellevue. They have a few different summer testing externships. I think one is in forensic, one is general psychology, and another is neuropsych (which will get you plenty of cognitive assessment experience, along with other things).

I've also heard that there are opportunities at something called Prep for Prep. I think this organization in NYC tests students from disadvantaged backgrounds who are being considered for scholarships to prep schools. Sorry, but I'm not too familiar with the details. Maybe someone else on SDN knows more about them, or you could perhaps Google it.

Thanks Psychmama! Bellevue isn't doing summer externships anymore, but I'll check out prep for prep. I know of them from my previous life and they are a great organization. Thanks for the tip!

Thanks Psychmama! Bellevue isn't doing summer externships anymore, but I'll check out prep for prep. I know of them from my previous life and they are a great organization. Thanks for the tip!

I know someone who works for Prep for Prep. As far as I know, they only offer testing experience without the report writing element, and testings are only available starting January as it is a requirement for students who are applying for their program.

You can check out Weill-Cornell too. They have an informal summer testing externship but require significant inpatient testing experience as they are not able to offer intensive supervision during those months.

I thought I would resurrect this thread for this year as I'll be applying for my first practicum soon. Does anyone know what are good things to include in a cover letter, or know of any example cover letters they could direct me to? I've never written a cover letter since all positions I've gotten previously have been because of people that I know. Is the cover letter for practicum applications supposed to be similar to a personal statement for grad school?

I thought I would resurrect this thread for this year as I'll be applying for my first practicum soon. Does anyone know what are good things to include in a cover letter, or know of any example cover letters they could direct me to? I've never written a cover letter since all positions I've gotten previously have been because of people that I know. Is the cover letter for practicum applications supposed to be similar to a personal statement for grad school?

Hello PsychGirl,

In regards to your question, a cover letter should be a brief, one-page letter indicating your reasons for applying to the site.

Ask yourself the following questions and answer them, to some extent, in the letter:

1. What is unique about the position and made you apply?

2. What aspects of the training stand out to you? - (i.e., theoretical orientation, testing vs treatment, setting, supervision hours, etc.).

3. What population is being served? Is this a population you are considering working with in the future?

4. How does this position align with your long term goals?

5. How have previous experiences prepared you for taking on this position?

In my opinion, the key is to express a clear and genuine interest in the site, highlight your growing skill set, clearly articulate your own limitations in training, and explain how the experience at the practicum address those limitations through training and experience so as to work towards your overarching goals. I know that it is a lot to consider in a brief statement. Like most writing, its requires you to be concise and delicately balance a number of key issues. Remember, you got into grad school already, this is a skill you displayed when writing your personal statement.

Having said that, I would first look into sites designed for students in their first or second year. Your cover letter will be well received by those reviewing applications. Practicums designed for advanced students might be doable if you have specialized skills or an outstanding experience of some kind. I would apply to a few of these and sites and see them like a "reach school" in the college application process. You shouldn't get discouraged if you don't get accepted, as it was a place looking for advanced students and this is only your first practicum. If you land it, awesome!!!

Last, but definitely not least, use your advisers, professors, and fellow students as resources. They can direct towards good sites, connect you with the right people, and proof read your letter and give you feedback. Don't be afraid to ask for advice, its helpful.

That is my .02 and I hope it helps

Good luck!

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone has done an externship or has heard anything about the externship at The American Institute for Cognitive Therapy. I've heard some sketchy things about Leahy and wanted to know if the experience provided at the externship would make it worth it to apply. PM me if you know anything...thanks!

Hello PsychGirl,

In regards to your question, a cover letter should be a brief, one-page letter indicating your reasons for applying to the site.

Ask yourself the following questions and answer them, to some extent, in the letter:

1. What is unique about the position and made you apply?

2. What aspects of the training stand out to you? - (i.e., theoretical orientation, testing vs treatment, setting, supervision hours, etc.).

3. What population is being served? Is this a population you are considering working with in the future?

4. How does this position align with your long term goals?

5. How have previous experiences prepared you for taking on this position?

In my opinion, the key is to express a clear and genuine interest in the site, highlight your growing skill set, clearly articulate your own limitations in training, and explain how the experience at the practicum address those limitations through training and experience so as to work towards your overarching goals. I know that it is a lot to consider in a brief statement. Like most writing, its requires you to be concise and delicately balance a number of key issues. Remember, you got into grad school already, this is a skill you displayed when writing your personal statement.

Having said that, I would first look into sites designed for students in their first or second year. Your cover letter will be well received by those reviewing applications. Practicums designed for advanced students might be doable if you have specialized skills or an outstanding experience of some kind. I would apply to a few of these and sites and see them like a "reach school" in the college application process. You shouldn't get discouraged if you don't get accepted, as it was a place looking for advanced students and this is only your first practicum. If you land it, awesome!!!

Last, but definitely not least, use your advisers, professors, and fellow students as resources. They can direct towards good sites, connect you with the right people, and proof read your letter and give you feedback. Don't be afraid to ask for advice, its helpful.

That is my .02 and I hope it helps

Good luck!

Thanks so much for this detailed reply, it's very helpful! :)

I'm applying to NYC externships but am unfamiliar with a lot of sites as my program is in CT.

Can anyone tell me anything about (personal experiences, what you've heard, etc...) besides what is on their externship brochures:

Woodhull medical center

Manhattan psychiatric center

Interfaith medical center

I'm interested in gaining inpatient experience and have an interest in multicultural psychology.

thanks in advance.

Hoping someone who's in or who's been in the Chicago area might be able to help me out here. Anyone's program/dept taken part in ACEPT? I have questions!

any advice on how to prepare for them? i have my first two coming up on thursday and i am super nervous!

phdpsych; same in a lot of ways as when you interviewed for grad school--read the materials carefully, prepare questions, and be ready to discuss the expereince you shared in your application materials.

All in the NY area: anyone heard from Creedmor yet?

phdpsych; same in a lot of ways as when you interviewed for grad school--read the materials carefully, prepare questions, and be ready to discuss the expereince you shared in your application materials.

be prepared to talk about a case or any clinical exp you have had.

I would strongly recommend that you do not extern there.

has anyone interviewed there? any questions I should expect? Also does anyone know if its a group interview or one-on-one?

anyone heard from
maimonides
new york-presby
columbia child
?

thanks!

Has anyone heard from

Woodhull medical center
Bellevue (adult assessment)
Beth Israel (adult)
Mount Sinai Services - Elmhurst Hospital

?

Has anyone heard from

Woodhull medical center
Bellevue (adult assessment)
Beth Israel (adult)
Mount Sinai Services - Elmhurst Hospital

?

bellevue adult assessment went out at 10am yesterday--i haven't heard anything from those others yet.
still waiting on BPC and Beatman (Jewish Board) for accept/reject
MPC for anything
South Beach for interview sched followup
if anyone knows anything i'd be much obliged! I'll share what i know about sites in general when i hear anything.

really not liking this Feb 5th thing! i feel like i'm in backwards-land. apps basically HAVE to be in by the first day you can send them in, and the there is Fed 5th, the first day you can get an acceptance but only the 3 workday window. it seems we'd all be better served by a true application submission window(say Jan 15th to Feb 1st, with not preference being given to apps received the 15th or the 30th or whatnot), then interviews, and a something akin to the april 15th deadline. will be giving this FB to NYSPA for sure!

bellevue adult assessment went out at 10am yesterday--i haven't heard anything from those others yet.
still waiting on BPC and Beatman (Jewish Board) for accept/reject
MPC for anything
South Beach for interview sched followup
if anyone knows anything i'd be much obliged! I'll share what i know about sites in general when i hear anything.

really not liking this Feb 5th thing! i feel like i'm in backwards-land. apps basically HAVE to be in by the first day you can send them in, and the there is Fed 5th, the first day you can get an acceptance but only the 3 workday window. it seems we'd all be better served by a true application submission window(say Jan 15th to Feb 1st, with not preference being given to apps received the 15th or the 30th or whatnot), then interviews, and a something akin to the april 15th deadline. will be giving this FB to NYSPA for sure!

Thanks! Not hearing anything from some sites may be a good thing as they may not be doing the Feb 5th thing. Which I agree is a bit ridiculous.

I've only heard back from Interfaith. They've completed their interviews and will be notifying on Monday.

also heard that south beach and creedmore are still interviewing, but stil waiting on also new york-presby inpt. (and still waiting on beatman)

anyone?

Anyone? or Woodhull?

1) Does anyone know of any NYC or NJ sites that are still accepting applications? Being unfamiliar with the competitiveness of NYC externships, I applied to way less than others have.

2) Do people mention how many externship hours they have anywhere on their application form? I didn't but I got the feeling from an interview that some do?

3) When you do not get an interview somewhere (and others have) do they later send you an email to let you know that you were not selected or is it just assumed that no news = no chance.

Last edited:
1) Does anyone know of any NYC or NJ sites that are still accepting applications? Being unfamiliar with the competitiveness of NYC externships, I applied to way less than others have.

2) Do people mention how many externship hours they have anywhere on their application form? I didn't but I got the feeling from an interview that some do?

3) When you do not get an interview somewhere (and others have) do they later send you an email to let you know that you were not selected or is it just assumed that no news = no chance.

i've never had that asked (somewhere in my app i usually say something like "saw 8-10 pts" ran x number groups, etc so they get the idea)

sites should email folks either way but a large number don't (v frustrating)

i don't know of any sites--i say start calling and be ready to email of a cv and cover letter at a moments notice

Heard back from manhattan psychiatric on Friday.