Applying to jobs/bolstering re-app while applying during this cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eatingcake

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the sake of being realistic (which is no fun, but necessitated by my chosen career), I am working to improve my application for next year's cycle in case I don't get in this time round (bad thoughts!:mad:). My current job is in no way related to medicine or science, so that's the route I'm looking to take. Two internal questions keep coming up:

1. Do I tell my prospective employers that I'm hoping to matriculate in the fall of 2015, essentially quitting <year after starting? That probably wouldn't bother all employers, but given how expensive and time consuming hiring and training can be, I'm sure it'd turn some off.
  2. If I do get a new job, how do I manage the interviews I already have scheduled and any more that come my way? I think it's usually considered a faux pas to request 1-3 days off on regular basis when starting a new job.
:shrug:

Thoughts? Advice? Etc?

Members don't see this ad.

If you get a job in healthcare, you'll probably have a more understanding boss, though many of the doctors I've met seem to have no concept of how competitive and stressful this process is. I am repeatedly laughed at for applying to 35 schools, though I think they're trying to make me feel less stressed (good intentions at least).

I applied to 10+ different jobs/internships in doctor's offices via Craig's list. I heard back from a good number of them, and I'm still getting calls from some of these offices, even though it's been months. In the area where I live, at least, there's definitely a market for college graduates interested in healthcare who can be trained on the job and will stick around for a year.

I was hired to work in a doctor's office, and I really couldn't think of a job I'd prefer over this one. Maybe a little less hours so that I could volunteer more during the week.

I told my bosses upfront (in my application cover letter) that I was applying to med schools for fall 2015. They made a rule that I couldn't take days off for the first 3 months; however, one of my interviews is scheduled for October and they gave me that day off anyway.

I definitely think you should be upfront with your status as an applicant. You don't want to end up with a boss who won't let you go to interviews, and you don't want to burn any bridges when you leave to go to medical school.