Applying to MD/MPH programs - now or later?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starlover44

Reaction score
I'm planning on applying to MD programs within the next few weeks with the goal of pursuing an MD/MPH. Would it be wise to select the combined MD/MPH option for some schools on my AMCAS app, or apply to regular MD programs and apply for MPH in med school? Or does it not matter? A few students told me they decided on the MPH after their first year in med school, and it seems like figuring out the MPH after being accepted to an MD seems to be more common. I'm just wondering if/how selecting the MD/MPH on my AMCAS app could affect my chances of acceptance.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I've heard at some schools (cough cough UCLA) it is much much more competitive if you apply the MD/MPH route and your application is only thrown into the regular md pool when its far too late.

I think this will be school-specific but a lot of people end up choosing to pursue an MPH during med school and don't come into med school knowing that it's what they want to do. Because it's an up front investment of a year of your life and many people end up doing service projects/internships their first year to see if it's really what they want to do.

Unless there's a specific advantage to applying MD/MPH at the outset, I don't think there's any disadvantage to waiting. MPH school isn't as competitive as medical school and if you're applying internally as an MD student, I would think that it would be hard for them to not accept you.

Thanks to both of you for your input! It sounds like for now it would be better to wait and apply for regular MD, which I plan on doing.