1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Applying to Med School and Interviews

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Pathologist, Dec 5, 2000.

1. Pathologist

Pathologist Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have two questions. First, how many medical schools should I apply to? I had been told three by a college advisor at an undergrad university that I was thinking of going to. But, I hear everyone saying that they're applying to 9 or 10 schools. Secondly, can you get extra loans to pay for airfare, etc. to go to med school interviews?
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Becket

Becket Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I can only answer the first part of your question- you'll certainly want to apply to more than 3 schools. I'd say the average number is 10-12. You'll have to take into consideration how much money you want to dish out for application fees, travelling, etc. (which I guess is what your second question is getting at)

4. mophead

mophead Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree on the number of schools: at least ten. Apply to a variety of types of schools: all your state schools, some out of state private ones of varying ranking, a few of the top schools if you might want to go to one. The mix depends on your application and preferences.

As to travel, I have never heard of anyone getting financial aid to pay for it. Most people use travelocity or another web site to find deals, try to group interviews in a particular region close together in time, stay with student hosts. If you are a premed member of AMSA they have a travel discount program for interviews -- 20% off for hotels, and discount airline tickets.