Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Applying to Med School and Interviews

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Pathologist, Dec 5, 2000.

1. Pathologist

Pathologist Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I have two questions. First, how many medical schools should I apply to? I had been told three by a college advisor at an undergrad university that I was thinking of going to. But, I hear everyone saying that they're applying to 9 or 10 schools. Secondly, can you get extra loans to pay for airfare, etc. to go to med school interviews?
    Thanks [​IMG]

2. Becket

Becket Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I can only answer the first part of your question- you'll certainly want to apply to more than 3 schools. I'd say the average number is 10-12. You'll have to take into consideration how much money you want to dish out for application fees, travelling, etc. (which I guess is what your second question is getting at)

3. mophead

mophead Member
    10+ Year Member

I agree on the number of schools: at least ten. Apply to a variety of types of schools: all your state schools, some out of state private ones of varying ranking, a few of the top schools if you might want to go to one. The mix depends on your application and preferences.

As to travel, I have never heard of anyone getting financial aid to pay for it. Most people use travelocity or another web site to find deals, try to group interviews in a particular region close together in time, stay with student hosts. If you are a premed member of AMSA they have a travel discount program for interviews -- 20% off for hotels, and discount airline tickets.