Applying to Med School and Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pathologist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have two questions. First, how many medical schools should I apply to? I had been told three by a college advisor at an undergrad university that I was thinking of going to. But, I hear everyone saying that they're applying to 9 or 10 schools. Secondly, can you get extra loans to pay for airfare, etc. to go to med school interviews?
Thanks
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad.

I can only answer the first part of your question- you'll certainly want to apply to more than 3 schools. I'd say the average number is 10-12. You'll have to take into consideration how much money you want to dish out for application fees, travelling, etc. (which I guess is what your second question is getting at)

I agree on the number of schools: at least ten. Apply to a variety of types of schools: all your state schools, some out of state private ones of varying ranking, a few of the top schools if you might want to go to one. The mix depends on your application and preferences.

As to travel, I have never heard of anyone getting financial aid to pay for it. Most people use travelocity or another web site to find deals, try to group interviews in a particular region close together in time, stay with student hosts. If you are a premed member of AMSA they have a travel discount program for interviews -- 20% off for hotels, and discount airline tickets.