Applying to medical school after freshman year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ma2

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not crazy or planning anything, but would it be possible for someone to apply to a 6-year program at an international university after freshman year of college in the US?

Again, no plans to this myself, but a friend says she wants to do that to essentially a) prove to herself that she can get into a med school, and b) potentially start med school now. Would this be possible? Where would someone be able to do this, since most programs are geared toward high school grads?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's international so I am not completely sure how admissions work there...but if your friend wants to ultimately practice in the US, you go to med school in the US.

No need to do that. Just keep going the college way and get experience- research, clinical, life, and all the experiences in between.

Medical school will always be there, and it isn't a sprint to the finish line that's important.

Reactions: 1 user
Making the decision of where they want to practice medicine for the rest of their lives after graduation is a difficult decision for anyone to make, let alone someone who is a freshman in college and just wants to hastily "prove to herself that she can get into medical school"

It's international so I am not completely sure...but if your friend plans on staying in said country after completing med school, then why not? If you want to ultimately practice in the US, you go to med school in the US.

Yeah, this is important. With more and more domestic MD/DO positions opening up each year with residency slots largely staying the same (with good reason, honestly) the major group to be squeezed out will be international applicants. Don't go international to "prove" it to yourself, unless you want to practice medicine in Europe or elsewhere. Residencies tend to be a few years longer in Europe as well (and you don't have as much say in what you end up in), so the "time saved" by going international is a wash.

"Your friend" should enjoy college now while you/he/she can.

Reactions: 2 users
No, unless you plan to practice in that country

I'm not crazy or planning anything, but would it be possible for someone to apply to a 6-year program at an international university after freshman year of college in the US?

Again, no plans to this myself, but a friend says she wants to do that to essentially a) prove to herself that she can get into a med school, and b) potentially start med school now. Would this be possible? Where would someone be able to do this, since most programs are geared toward high school grads?
If truly determined she can look into the BS/MD programs in the US. Most if not all want you to start with their program as a freshman, though, and don't take transfers in after the freshman year. The ones that are less than 8 years in length may require you to give up your summer vacations in college to participate in the program. Tell her, "prove that you can get accepted to medical school by getting accepted to a US medical school ".

one of the few positives US higher Ed has over other industrialized nations is that you have 4 years of relatively incredible freedom as an undergraduate and can still end up doing basically anything you want (provided you are capable), as opposed to being sort of hard-tracked on a path when you are 17-19 years old. Tell her to take advantage of it rather than throw it away.

Reactions: 1 user