Applying to medical school as a P2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

vneptunianv

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently a P2 in pharmacy school. My curriculum has shown me that I don't wish to become a pharmacist, and the writing is on the wall in regards to future job prospects.

I'm applying to medical school this cycle, but I've yet to drop out of pharmacy school. How much will it hurt me when it comes to medical school admissions (just the leaving pharmacy halfway through the program aspect)?
 
I don't think it will matter too much as long as you spin it as "I realized it wan't for me, so stopped".

Don't at all even allude to possibility of medicine being a backup (if it is at all for you), and don't mention the job prospect thing.

Med schools want to take people who have the passion for medicine. You have to project that.
 
Medicine was what I wanted to do when I was finishing up undergrad, but I was younger then and let myself scare myself out of ever applying.

What is your opinion on when I drop out of classes? Should I wait until the cycle is over, just in case? Or will that reflect badly on me

Thank you for the advice.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I kind of feel the opposite. It will show them that you aren’t completing what you start. Who says that wouldn’t also apply to medical school? @Goro that’s just what I’ve seen that has been said by ADCOMS on here
 
I'm currently a P2 in pharmacy school. My curriculum has shown me that I don't wish to become a pharmacist, and the writing is on the wall in regards to future job prospects.

I'm applying to medical school this cycle, but I've yet to drop out of pharmacy school. How much will it hurt me when it comes to medical school admissions (just the leaving pharmacy halfway through the program aspect)?
As mentioned above, the worry is that you'll bail on Medicine like you did on Pharm, and also, you've got to prove that you're running TO Medicine, not merely running away from Pharm.