Applying To Medical School With An Mph??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neolium

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in going to medical school. I am also interested in gettin a master's degree. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should study? I am interested in public health. How those with an advance degree (like an MPH) fair in the applicant pool for medical school??

Members don't see this ad.

I am interested in going to medical school. I am also interested in gettin a master's degree. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what I should study? I am interested in public health. How those with an advance degree (like an MPH) fair in the applicant pool for medical school??

Do you need the MPH (to boost your GPA, strengthen app, etc). If you're just interested in the MPH degree in general, then do it in med school. Many schools have curricula that allow for an MPH in an extra year or less, and don't even require the GRE.

I totally agree with HumbleMD. If you are interested in public health, get your degree for free in med school. I went the reverse route - I did MPH first. The reason I chose the route I did was because I wasn't ready for the demands of med school. For those who want to do it to boost their GPA - most MPH courses are not classifed as BCPM, so it won't help you there. Sure your graduate GPA will be great and it will show an improvement, but I don't know how much it will weigh the BCPM grade. Now if your graduate degree is in a science, that should help boost your GPA, but I could be wrong. It's been awhile since I looked at AMCAS :)o ). I can't say that having my MPH allows me to be looked upon favorably or negatively during this application process, but I knew the reason I opted this route and I've expressed that during my interviews. Like I said in a previous post, you have to do what feels right for you. I have no regrets with my decision and I look forward to being a M1 next year!