MPH vs DIY Post Bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kenzmed

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've recently been accepted to a 2 yr MPH program and have been battling on whether I should do it or not. Some background: graduated in 2022, cgpa 3.39 sgpa 3.1 (major upward trend), urm, 495 mcat. Planning to retake the mcat in january. I think I would love to do the MPH program since I am very passionate about rural health but I know this is not going to make up for my low stats. I live near a university and I was thinking about taking some high level science courses to boost my gpa. Do I need to do a post bacc or should I just focus on my MCAT? Any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

My advice is to do the MPH while prepping to retake the MCAT. The MPH program will give you a tangible reward: a higher degree that you can leverage whether you end up in med school or not, all while showing an interest in health and demonstrating an ability to learn and succeed at a high level. A post-bacc won't provide you with anything you can use to advance your career if med school doesn't pan out. (Note that I'm not saying I doubt your ability to get into med school. I'm simply saying the MPH gives you more options.)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do the MPH because public health is your interest.
Although it won't remediate your undergrad record at MD schools (everybody gets A's in grad school!), it will help for DO.
It will also give you more to discuss at your interviews (at least, that's how it worked for me...).
Your big problem is the MCAT. Do not take it again until you are confident of a score c/w success.
A string of low scores is far more damaging than one.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you all, I have decided to move forward with an MPH! :)

Reactions: 1 user