Applying to Multiple Programs at one Institution

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyelandPsychePhD

Reaction score
Question for you all-

Does it look bad to apply to multiple programs at one institution?
For example, some programs have a Counseling PhD, a Clinical Psychology PhD, and a Clinical or Counseling PsyD.
Would it look strange or work against me to apply to more than one or even all three programs?

All comments are much appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What schools?

Without further detail, if I were in your shoes, my approach would be to match my research goals/personal statement stuff with faculty in both (if possible and makes sense for you) areas, so you keep both doors open.

Might appear more logical that 2 distinct apps to 2 programs with 2 separate personal statements, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
If you've done your homework and you're applying to programs that you think are a good fit for your interests and goals, then it should be fine (versus applying for geographic preference or other non-educational reasons, which review committees are probably pretty good at quickly identifying).

My university-based program had 4 different psychology PhD programs and as far as I know, each ran their own admissions processes, pull your file from the university application portal to review, and shouldn't know that you applied elsewhere at the school.

However, it's quite possible that a clinical and a counseling program in the same dept can operate very differently so a great candidate to one could be a poor candidate for other.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the above. My university had both clinical and counseling PhD programs. They were housed in different schools and I don't think either had any idea what the other was doing, at least in terms of admissions. And if they had, I don't think they would have looked askance as long as the applicant was a good research fit for their preferred mentor in both programs.

Reactions: 1 user