Applying to Multiple Programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thehipster

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who applied to more than 1 type of specialty program, what effect did it have on your interviews and match? Did interviewers not like the fact that you did this? Did they think that you weren't completely sure of which you which program you wanted? Also, if you applied to a specialty along with a GPR, did programs care about that as well, or is that more of a common thing and they understood? My friend was telling me about how he was thinking about doing this but what he was saying didn't seem exactly right to me. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

thehipster said:
For those of you who applied to more than 1 type of specialty program, what effect did it have on your interviews and match? Did interviewers not like the fact that you did this? Did they think that you weren't completely sure of which you which program you wanted? Also, if you applied to a specialty along with a GPR, did programs care about that as well, or is that more of a common thing and they understood? My friend was telling me about how he was thinking about doing this but what he was saying didn't seem exactly right to me. Thanks

They don't have to know if you don't tell them. They may find out if you try to apply to more than one program type at a single school, and some have rules against this. It shouldn't be an issue if you don't bring it up.

So, most people don't tell them? What if a program finds out, you would have blown your chances, right? Do most people hide the fact they might be applying to multiple programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
It is a definite "no-no" to apply to two different programs (like ortho and OMFS) at the same school. Nobody, including residency directors, likes to be a last choice. And they know that you are not as committed, which is true if you are willing to go to just any specialty.

But I would say it is a "yes-yes" to apply to specialty programs and GPR as a backup. It is reasonable to realize that not everyone gets in (just like it is a good idea to have a backup plan if you don't get into dental school.)

I had a really detailed explanation, but then noticed the OP wasn't even in dental school yet. PM me in 4 years (okay, or now) if you want a better answer, but by then you should see that applying to two specialties, although it seems reasonable right now, doesn't make much sense from a director's point of view, and really - I think - from a what do I want to do for the rest of my life point of view.