Applying to multiple specialties?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kwu

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I apologize if this is a stupid question.

I am interested in a surgical subspeciality, however, my application might not be the most competitive. Is it possible for me to apply to general surgery as a backup plan? if so, would that hurt my application and make me look "less genuine"?

Looking at how competitive this year's match was, I am trying to do my best to increase my probability of matching as much as I can.

I would be very happy to match in either one.

Thank you for your help

Members don't see this ad.

Just as a matter of parlance, it’s probably best not to refer to the chosen career path of a lot of the hardest working people on the forum as a “backup plan.” I’m sure you meant no disrespect, but it never goes well when people do that (and you’re not the first).

Theoretically it shouldn’t hurt your resume, but practically speaking I think some programs might look at that and realize that you know your application isn’t the strongest, and that you probably have accepted the idea that you may not match. Which definitely makes it easier to say no.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on the specialty IMHO. You need to weigh the likelihood of matching into the specialty with the risk of doing general surgery training (if you truly have a problem with that).

I applied to both specialty training and general surgery and matched into my specialty field. My general surgery interviewers straight up violated the match rules and would ask if I had applied to integrated programs. General surgery isn't really a backup and they don't want anyone who thinks of it that way, so they try to weed those people out. That being said, I would still strongly encourage you to apply to both. There just aren't enough slots in integrated programs for you to be guaranteed a spot. Plus, you can still (mostly) do whatever you want from general surgery, and most general surgeons prefer that style of training, so it shouldn't close any doors to you.

The one exception to this is plastics. I wouldn't go the general surgery route if you want to do plastics. I've heard too many stories of general surgery residents not matching into plastics fellowships bc there are just so few traditional spots left.

My best advice would be to apply to selected general surgery programs where you think you have a good chance, given your application weaknesses.