Applying to only 4 Schools. Need Advice!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

_yy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date of submission: 8/8-8/11
Overall GPA: 3.97
Science GPA: 3.96
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.00
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 22AA 22TS (21PAT 23QR RC21 BIO27 GC20 OC21)
State of Residence: Utah

Undergrad Attended: University of Utah
Major: Bio
Minor: no
Minority? no
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: General: 48 hrs, 24 hrs, 80 hrs from different dentists Ortho: 24 hrs
Volunteering Experience: Church class volunteer ~ 80 hrs, Free clinic: 60 hrs
Employment: REFUGES Tutor ~500 hrs
Research: None
Other Extracurriculars: Created club and vice president (Korean organization)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List for most semesters, Cum laude
LOR type and strength: 1 strong letter from science professor, 1 not sure from science professor, 1 strong letter from general dentist
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: None
School list: Utah, Roseman, LECOM, Buffalo

I am only applying to 4 schools because I want to save money, and I don't really see myself in other schools.
Should I be worried that I am applying too little? Should I add more?

Please let me know any advice or opinions!!
🙂
have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at the utah d school?

I did! I participated in their pre-dental events several times.
good
but i hope you are aware they only have 25 IS spots, and OOS people who have attended undergrad in utah are counted in that group
so while you have awesome stats, your admission there is not guaranteed
i do like your chances more than most, though
but i do not understand LECOM and buffalo
they do not make sense to me geographically
why did you choose them?
there are multiple closer, cheaper schools than those two...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't really see myself in other schools.
Should I be worried that I am applying too little? Should I add more?
Perhaps because I'm in a similar boat to yours, but if you don't see yourself going somewhere else then it doesn't really make sense to apply somewhere else (I've mentioned this thought process before on this forum somewhere regarding people who apply to expensive schools with no intentions of going there if they even got in).

Your stats (the objective ones at least), those numbers outclass mine, so I suspect you should be good.

I have family there and tuition was cheaper too. What schools are you referring to when you say cheaper and closer schools to Utah?
ok
i understand the lecom and buffalo

Thank you for your opinion!!
What schools are you applying to?
I'm attempting a "Texas or bust" approach. My numbers are decent (slightly lower than Texan averages as compared to the numbers posted on TMDSAS regarding last year's admitting class), BUT my extracurriculars are excellent and I believe I've shown myself, both in the PS and my application overall, to be a well-rounded applicant. I'm really hoping that the whole "they look at your application holistically, it's not just numbers" thing will work for me.

Godspeed to me and you.

Reactions: 1 user