WAMC - 3.74 GPA, 24 AA, only 1 interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mister_gus

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I haven't heard anything from my schools other than UCSF and UTHSC. I understand that I applied to basically all state schools with in-state tuition after the first year so my chances are lower. However, I'm a little surprised by the general silence. Could it be a regional thing? The fact that I have a good IS school? The schools are simply competitive? Or am I missing something else here?

Date of submission: mid-July
Overall GPA: 3.74
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
24 AA // 23 TS // 22 PAT // 22 QR // 30 RC // 23 BIO // 21 GC // 23 OC
State of Residence: TN

Undergrad Attended: University of Tennessee
Major: Chemistry
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 130+ between two general dentists and one cosmetic dentist when I submitted. Majority with the GD who did a rec letter for me.
Volunteering Experience: 450+ volunteering at free dental clinics, 40 non-clinical
Employment: pre-graduation worked part-time in retail all-throughout college (~15 hours a week), post-grad have worked full-time as research technician for blood donation facility and as a chemistry homework content developer for a higher ed publishing company.
Research: ~700 hours in a synthetic chemistry lab with 1 presentation and no publications and two other research posters through coursework---one of which was accepted to an international conference.
Other Extracurriculars: intern for dental/medical non-profit, volunteer lead for dental/medical non-profit, president of university-affiliated student public health org, alternative break leader, chemistry teaching assistant, committee member for local harm-reduction non-profit, studied abroad for a semester.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
Relevant Honors or Awards: graduated magna cum laude, dean's list every semester, graduation award for community service, graduation award for research involvement.
LOR type and strength: 1 from chemistry department head (research mentor), 1 from directer of general chemistry (boss as TA), 1 from general dentist, 1 from non-profit I volunteered at/interned for. Believe all are fairly strong - knew both science and non-profit recommenders for 2-3 years. Dentist letter is probably weakest.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Two W's, each for classes I was taking when I had a different major. Didn't start the majority of my shadowing hours until Feb of this year. Also graduated last August and didn't get my first FT job until Nov.
School list:

• Buffalo
  • UCLA
  • UCSF (rejected)
  • Michigan
  • Maryland
  • UCONN
  • UNC
  • Penn
  • UTHSC (interviewed)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I haven't heard anything from my schools other than UCSF and UTHSC. I understand that I applied to basically all state schools with in-state tuition after the first year so my chances are lower. However, I'm a little surprised by the general silence. Could it be a regional thing? The fact that I have a good IS school? The schools are simply competitive? Or am I missing something else here?

Date of submission:
mid-July
Overall GPA: 3.74
Science GPA: 3.66
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.64
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 24 AA // 23 TS // 22 PAT // 22 QR // 30 RC // 23 BIO // 21 GC // 23 OC
State of Residence: TN

Undergrad Attended: University of Tennessee
Major: Chemistry
Minor: N/A
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 130+ between two general dentists and one cosmetic dentist when I submitted. Majority with the GD who did a rec letter for me.
Volunteering Experience: 450+ volunteering at free dental clinics, 40 non-clinical
Employment: pre-graduation worked part-time in retail all-throughout college (~15 hours a week), post-grad have worked full-time as research technician for blood donation facility and as a chemistry homework content developer for a higher ed publishing company.
Research: ~700 hours in a synthetic chemistry lab with 1 presentation and no publications and two other research posters through coursework---one of which was accepted to an international conference.
Other Extracurriculars: intern for dental/medical non-profit, volunteer lead for dental/medical non-profit, president of university-affiliated student public health org, alternative break leader, chemistry teaching assistant, committee member for local harm-reduction non-profit, studied abroad for a semester.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
Relevant Honors or Awards: graduated magna cum laude, dean's list every semester, graduation award for community service, graduation award for research involvement.
LOR type and strength: 1 from chemistry department head (research mentor), 1 from directer of general chemistry (boss as TA), 1 from general dentist, 1 from non-profit I volunteered at/interned for. Believe all are fairly strong - knew both science and non-profit recommenders for 2-3 years. Dentist letter is probably weakest.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: Two W's, each for classes I was taking when I had a different major. Didn't start the majority of my shadowing hours until Feb of this year. Also graduated last August and didn't get my first FT job until Nov.
School list:
  • Buffalo
  • UCLA
  • UCSF (rejected)
  • Michigan
  • Maryland
  • UCONN
  • UNC
  • Penn
  • UTHSC (interviewed)
all of the above
plus 5 of your schools are easily in the 10 most competitive schools in the country
and uconn is close
with a better list, you would've had more interviews
how did your in-state interview go?

all of the above
plus 5 of your schools are easily in the 10 most competitive schools in the country
and uconn is close
with a better list, you would've had more interviews
how did your in-state interview go?
That definitely makes sense - I only applied to ones I would take OVER my IS school so they definitely ended up being more competitive.

But my IS interview went super well so I feel pretty good about that!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That definitely makes sense - I only applied to ones I would take OVER my IS school so they definitely ended up being more competitive.

But my IS interview went super well so I feel pretty good about that!
then trust the process...

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not that surprised. Many of them probably believe you would still go to your in-state school if you had that option. A more regional list could have gotten you more interviews, but that's moot.

I agree, trust the process; you might get more action by January.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not that surprised. Many of them probably believe you would still go to your in-state school if you had that option. A more regional list could have gotten you more interviews, but that's moot.

I agree, trust the process; you might get more action by January.
Interesting - I didn’t realize how much of a factor geography/regionality plays with this process. Didn’t really want to stay in the South lol.

Last edited:
Interesting - I didn’t realize how much of a factor geography/regionality plays with this process. Didn’t really want to stay in the South lol.
Mostly due to the fact that applicants like to be close to home. Moving halfway across the country means you lose your support system, unless you have reasons for being there. Schools dont always know this, unless disclosed in interview, so they may not take the risk until later on.

Mostly due to the fact that applicants like to be close to home. Moving halfway across the country means you lose your support system, unless you have reasons for being there. Schools dont always know this, unless disclosed in interview, so they may not take the risk until later on.
Well… I can’t say that doesn’t make sense LOL. I’ll just keep an eye out these next few weeks

There's a reason why you need to do your networking before applying. From the admissions side, we wind up with the students that either fit our mission or our geography. Unlike medical school, your clinical opportunities are mostly arranged to be within the area (state or neighboring state if you are located near a border) especially since each school runs a clinic.

If RAMUSA is the nonprofit you worked with, I think it is based out of Tennessee, yes? I would have added schools that collaborated with the nonprofit frequently.

I am hopeful you will get more attention by January.

Last edited:
There's a reason why you need to do your networking before applying. From the admissions side, we wind up with the students that either fit our mission or our geography. Unlike medical school, your clinical opportunities are mostly arranged to be within the area (state or neighboring state if you are located near a border) especially since each school runs a clinic.

If RAMUSA is the nonprofit you worked with, I think it is based out of Tennessee, yes? I would have added schools that collaborated with the nonprofit frequently.

I am hopeful you will get more attention by January.
Ahhh I see. And yes, the org is RAM. I know you said networking PRE application would’ve been ideal, but that gave me the idea to reach out and see if they know anyone at one of my schools I can chat with.

And I did get an invite from Penn yesterday, so you were right!

• Love