Applying to OOS schools from Massachusetts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rsum1122

Reaction score
I am applying for my second cycle with a 514 MCAT from Massachusetts and I am having trouble finding OOS schools to apply to where my MCAT score would be very competitive. All of the Massachusetts schools are high MCAT and do not necessarily favor in state students. I am looking for schools with an OOS matriculation of ~50% or higher and an MCAT range in which my 514 would be around the 75th percentile. Most schools I find with a lower MCAT range heavily favor their in state applicants, so it would be useless for me to apply there. Does anyone have any suggestions or advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't remember that clearly back to application season, but can't you see stats like this on the MSAR? I remember that's how I made my school list and then I gave it to Goro for feedback. Try to come up with a solid rough draft list and posting it here!

Members don't see this ad :)
What are your sGPA and cGPA ? What are your ECs ?

My sGPA and cGPA from undergrad are both 3.3 and my MS in Biochem GPA is 3.9.

EC:
I have 72 shadowing hours. I am currently working as an Emergency Department Tech and have been doing that since October 2019. I am also a foreman for a construction company. I was an EMT-B for about a year. For volunteering I have volunteered with special needs children, been a hospital volunteer, and done various fundraisers for childhood cancer. My research experience is limited; all I have is one semester of a psychology morality lab. Also, during undergrad I played club hockey. Also I play guitar and ukulele.

I don't remember that clearly back to application season, but can't you see stats like this on the MSAR? I remember that's how I made my school list and then I gave it to Goro for feedback. Try to come up with a solid rough draft list and posting it here!

Yes! I feel like I've looked at every school on MSAR but my graduate advisor said I need to make a more competitive list.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
UMass
Tufts
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Is is your GPA of 3.3 that is limiting your chances for acceptance. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance. As a reapplicant you should also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
CUSOM
PCOM
VCOM (all schools)

I suggest these schools with your stats:
UMass
Tufts
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Georgetown
Eastern Virginia
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Is is your GPA of 3.3 that is limiting your chances for acceptance. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance. As a reapplicant you should also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
CUSOM
PCOM
VCOM (all schools)

Thank you so much for your input it is very reassuring. I have most of these schools on my list already!

My sGPA and cGPA from undergrad are both 3.3 and my MS in Biochem GPA is 3.9.

EC:
I have 72 shadowing hours. I am currently working as an Emergency Department Tech and have been doing that since October 2019. I am also a foreman for a construction company. I was an EMT-B for about a year. For volunteering I have volunteered with special needs children, been a hospital volunteer, and done various fundraisers for childhood cancer. My research experience is limited; all I have is one semester of a psychology morality lab. Also, during undergrad I played club hockey. Also I play guitar and ukulele.
Is the MS a research MS, or a SMP?

If the former, MD schools will discount it, but DO will not.

I was going to suggest looking into Tulane, Miami, Ohio State, Maryland, Hofstra and Keck USC.

I suggest:

Pitt (maybe)
Mayo
Mt Sinai (maybe)
Keck (maybe)
UCSF
EVMS
U Miami
Hofstra
Emory
Jefferson
Drexel
Albany
Tufts
NYMC
U MA
Rush
Loyola
Rosy Franklin
Tulane
Wake
MCW
SLU
Creighton
Wayne State
Netter
NYU.LI

Any DO program. I can't recommend Nova, Wm Carey, BCOM, ICOM and LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CUHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites. UIW refuses to post their Boards scores, which is fishy.