Applying to orthodontic residency programs - need advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orthoguy413

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm a GP and graduated from dental school a few years ago. I completed a GPR about a year ago and have been working since then, in corporate and private practice settings. I applied to orthodontic residency programs this cycle and I'm considering applying again next cycle, just in case if I don't get a post-match spot. I'm looking at things I can do to better improve my application besides taking the GRE. I'm looking at applying for a job with Diamond Braces in NY to get some ortho experience and possibly getting strong letters of rec. I later found out about this settlement Diamond Braces reached in 2019 about allowing uncertified employees performing orthodontic procedures. This worried me a bit in terms of how this will be perceived by program directors of ortho residencies. Does anyone have any insight on this and can advise on if this is something I should genuinely be concerned about or not, or if I should look at other options to better improve my ortho application? I considered working at a GP office that does ortho cases like Invisalign but I thought that a job with Diamond Braces would allow me to focus just on ortho and working with orthodontists on cases.

Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts on this!

Members don't see this ad.