Applying to pharm school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Allstate92

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm Ray and I currently serve in the U.S Navy in an active duty state, with that being said I have a lot of my pre-reqs completed aside from 2 chemistry classes. My concern is that most of my classes have been completed through online courses while on deployment at sea and being stationed overseas. If anyone has some insight on how to apply or if it matters at all I would greatly appreciate any knowledge on this matter. I was told from a couple of colleges it shouldn't matter and on my transcripts, they dont state that the classes were done online. Being a Florida resident my interest in schools are FAMU, UF, and Nova University. Thank you all in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I believe most of the schools in my state require labs and don't usually accept online science courses. You could check around with your schools of interest, however.

Best of luck to you!

The classes themselves should be okay to have taken online, but Docktor_dud3 is correct about the labs generally being required to be taken in person.

Since you have taken the classes already (and technically the labs), I would reach out to your local community college that offers those classes, and see about retaking the labs so that you have the in-person requirement.

Also, since just the labs (aside from your 2 chem classes you mentioned having to take), you could see about taking the labs over a summer or something like that so as to not impact your other classes if that is a concern for you.

Currently active duty myself but in the process of going through my MEB analysis. If deployed overseas or war zone (contingent on paperwork and your orders) some programs (not all) will allow virtual online labs but the exchange is upper science courses. 9/10 times you will need to take labs in a brick - n - mortar setting. However, many transcripts won’t necessarily state online coursework unless you mention it yourself (double check with your schools).

I would suggest if you have your post 9/11 don’t necessary apply to just your state of residence. Your GI bill gives you in-state tuition rate in all 50 states. For private colleges (like one I’m interviewing for) they have the yellow-ribbon program for veterans that will cover additional costs along with the E-5 dependent housing allowance you’ll have. For diversity reasons, some of those pharmacy universities want recent vets for “stat” purposes.

Reactions: 1 user