Applying to Pharmacy School with no Science Upper Division Coursework

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kavina

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello.

I'm a non-traditional student (graduated college in 2008 with a Bachelors of Music) that's been working on pharmacy prerequisites the past few years at my local community college. I had planned on applying to pharmacy school this year, but after attending the open house information session at one of my top choice schools, I'm really having second thoughts about applying this year, after the dean of admissions pretty much told me I'd have no chance of being accepted without having any upper division science coursework, or any prerequisites completed at a four-year university. I think I'm otherwise a fairly competitive candidate: 3.5 overall GPA, 3.8 science/math and I've been working as a pharmacy tech for the past 4 years. I have not yet taken the PCAT.

Unfortunately, with a previous bachelor's degree my options for taking upper division courses are very limited. My local state university allows non-enrolled students to take courses on a "crash" basis at a rather steep price that ineligible for financial aid. Not only would there be no guarantee that I could even get the classes I need, but I'd have to pay entirely out of pocket, which is rather difficult to do on a pharmacy technician's salary. There are also a few schools in the state (California) that will accept second bachelor's degree students, but it would require moving out of the area. If I was single, I wouldn't mind so much, but I have a husband to consider.

I'm also looking into perusing a masters degree, such as a Masters in Public Health, probably in epidemiology, as that's something I'm very interested in. However, I probably wouldn't be able to start the masters program until next fall, as it would be too late to apply for this upcoming fall, and it doesn't appear that a lot of programs accept applicants for the spring (and I'd have to get my act together really quick to start studying for the GRE). That would push my timeline back even further for pharmacy school.

I'm not sure what to do now. I have no interest in going to one of the newer private schools that might be willing to overlook my lack of upper division courses. I am only interested in applying to schools that have an academic medical center attached.

Thank you for your feedback/advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
People get in from community colleges. It's just going to be more difficult. Just take the PCAT and score well. Your Pharm Tech experience is going to help as well. Plus you have a degree.

People get in from community colleges. It's just going to be more difficult. Just take the PCAT and score well. Your Pharm Tech experience is going to help as well. Plus you have a degree.

second that. Just finish your prereq at your CC, score high on the PCAT and apply. You will be fine.

Hello.

I'm a non-traditional student (graduated college in 2008 with a Bachelors of Music) that's been working on pharmacy prerequisites the past few years at my local community college. I had planned on applying to pharmacy school this year, but after attending the open house information session at one of my top choice schools, I'm really having second thoughts about applying this year, after the dean of admissions pretty much told me I'd have no chance of being accepted without having any upper division science coursework, or any prerequisites completed at a four-year university. I think I'm otherwise a fairly competitive candidate: 3.5 overall GPA, 3.8 science/math and I've been working as a pharmacy tech for the past 4 years. I have not yet taken the PCAT.

Unfortunately, with a previous bachelor's degree my options for taking upper division courses are very limited. My local state university allows non-enrolled students to take courses on a "crash" basis at a rather steep price that ineligible for financial aid. Not only would there be no guarantee that I could even get the classes I need, but I'd have to pay entirely out of pocket, which is rather difficult to do on a pharmacy technician's salary. There are also a few schools in the state (California) that will accept second bachelor's degree students, but it would require moving out of the area. If I was single, I wouldn't mind so much, but I have a husband to consider.

I'm also looking into perusing a masters degree, such as a Masters in Public Health, probably in epidemiology, as that's something I'm very interested in. However, I probably wouldn't be able to start the masters program until next fall, as it would be too late to apply for this upcoming fall, and it doesn't appear that a lot of programs accept applicants for the spring (and I'd have to get my act together really quick to start studying for the GRE). That would push my timeline back even further for pharmacy school.

I'm not sure what to do now. I have no interest in going to one of the newer private schools that might be willing to overlook my lack of upper division courses. I am only interested in applying to schools that have an academic medical center attached.

Thank you for your feedback/advice.

Do not apply if you have not taken the PCAT. Similarly, do not apply if you haven't taken courses such as Organic Chemistry 1 and 2.