Applying to PT school right now, low cgpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Camiam14

Reaction score
whats going on guys, i am currently applying to DPT proggrams with a 3.0 GPA, 3.4-3.5 pre-req GPA, graduated from the University of Mississippi, right now i have about 60 observation hours and i am still working on getting ever more. Lastly, i am currently preparing to take the GRE withing the upcoming weeks. any suggestions on what schools i should look at?

Members don't see this ad.

whats going on guys, i am currently applying to DPT proggrams with a 3.0 GPA, 3.4-3.5 pre-req GPA, graduated from the University of Mississippi, right now i have about 60 observation hours and i am still working on getting ever more. Lastly, i am currently preparing to take the GRE withing the upcoming weeks. any suggestions on what schools i should look at?

Firstly I think you will get a better response if you post this in the Pre-Physical Therapy section of the forums. To answer your question tho I think you should look at school which are "instate state" schools and then also look at schools with GPA requirements below 3.0 and who may only look at the last 60 units or only pre-req gpa. They are out there I do not know many off the top of my head but to name a few: AT still, MGH, Regis, CSUN, TSU, High Point. Some of the schools I applied to. Own the gre tho.

Look at schools statistics from previous years (they may be on their web site or you can contact schools and ask for stats): stats of those who got accepted last year: average GPA, pre-req GPA, GRE scores, observation hours (if required). Then choose schools that fit /close to your stats. Some schools will say "we will consider anyone with GPA above 3.0," but if you see that their average student has GPA 3.7, it is extremely unlikely that they will accept someone with GPA 3.0 since they will have applicants with higher GPA.
Also check/ask how many people applied last year and how many got accepted to see how many people you will be competing against.
I agree with the previous post: check out schools that look only at your last 60 units (Loma Linda used to do that, not sure what it does now).
If you have strong interview skills, some schools may prioritize that instead of your average GRE (Western University of Health Sciences used to be like that).
I think it is ok to apply to programs with 3.0 minimum requirement for GPA as long as their average accepted student is not with GPAs much higher than that (let's say more than 3.4). University of St Augustine was not picky with GPAs.
Finally, if your GRE score will turn out to be lower than GRE of average accepted student, you can consider schools that do not require GRE.
Good luck!

Honestly.. as someone FROM Mississippi, it is worth staying instate and completing it at UMMC. Even if that means retaking some classes to get a 4.0 pre-req. Tuition is extremely cheap, your competition is only residents from MS and cost of living in Jackson is crazy cheap. If you are dead set on leaving the state, I suggest only leaving for other public university programs (Which will be more expensive but possibly less than private universities).

When applying out of state you'll find that public universities are typically much harder to get into (with some only taking applications from in-state applicants) and private universities easier to get into (in some respects) but with ridiculous debt.

Live your life boo boo, but $130K+ of debt (before accuring interest) for a job that will pay half of that is not a good choice.