Applying to Radiation Oncology as a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven’t noticed a difference in quality with DOs and IMGs vs MDs over past 15 years in radonc, although this may now change. Increasing IMGs and DO, however, are absolutely a marker of specialty decline.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
That’s because the vast majority of DO grads rather stay away from Radiation oncology anyways. What you conveniently fail to mention is the number of FMG who have matched to radiation oncology has ballooned over the last few years as has the number of unfilled spots. I can almost guarantee that any DO student(or even graduate who failed to match their preferred specialty) can walk into a radiation oncology program.

Haha ok, I thought we were talking about DOs. I think your points come from a rational assessment of the NRMP data trends, but I can almost guarantee you are wrong. Chairs and PDs in radiation oncology are not rational and I expect they will continue to discriminate.

I am actually at a Top 30 IM program

Congrats?

Haha ok, I thought we were talking about DOs. I think your points come from a rational assessment of the NRMP data trends, but I can almost guarantee you are wrong. Chairs and PDs in radiation oncology are not rational and I expect they will continue to discriminate.

Congrats?
Sure they can continue to discriminate from their ever-dwindling applicant pool? Most are likey discriminating from which country they want their IMG residents to be from....

The Top 30 IM comment was in direct response to another post

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven’t noticed a difference in quality with DOs and IMGs vs MDs over past 15 years in radonc, although this may now change. Increasing IMGs and DO, however, are absolutely a marker of specialty decline.

This is actually pretty interesting to think about because the "quality difference", which has no real definition, probably is more related to someone's interest and dedication to the field than their degree. IMG and DO graduates almost exclusively SOAPed in to RO before.

Now, the demographics are changing at the application phase to include more of these folks. I'd expect a DO interested in Rad Onc from M1 year to be just as "high quality" as an MD at the residency phase.

Big Brother Fight GIF by Laff

Apparently reading comprehension AND spelling both present challenges to you sir. Good luck, and let the butthurt flow thru you.
Lol good luck to you too.. hopefully you can keep whatever rad onc job you have now because if not it won’t matter about reading comprehension or spelling or whatever you’d be looking at FM(250k) money in the boonies

Wrong again, but here ya go:

I get pinged it seems like daily by places desperate to fill locums slots. They'll pay, and they have for years. # is not a saying, its a commitment to not selling out cheaply.

Its true, big money is only for boonie jobs - its not like Austin, TX or Los Angeles, CA or whatever is gonna pay anywhere near 3k a day. But I can be anywhere. Sometimes their desperation can result in a nice opportunity.

I'm not here more than I am, and I live comfortably. Would it be nice to be home Monday-Wed nights? Yeah. But for half the pay and twice the headache? No. Been here awhile now, its all good.

If they want me to go, cool. 90 days is the requirement. Good luck finding anyone, much less anyone good, who will live here. They struggle to get vacation coverage sometimes.. my peers here are happy. But we all live at the whim of administration don't we.

ps. I dig that icon of yours

Reactions: 1 user
Wtf does this post even mean…. Hahah get your head out of your a**
Back 10-20 years ago the DOs/Caribbean grads were basically the folks that partied too much in undergrad or before the MCAT. While less so the case today, the stereotype has stuck around for some. I'm sure there's still a kernel of truth to it

Last edited:
Why should an oversubscribed specialty in the US like rad onc take any IMGs?

NO US grad MD or DO should go into rad onc….
We got DO’s matching derm at god damn UW, ENT at duke ,neurosurgery at big name places. for jeez Christ don’t go into Rad onc
Look at all the better fields available to a US grad..
Also the speculation that some of these “chairs” won’t hire a DO even from a top 10 Rad onc program is straight up ridiculous lol… even more reason to avoid this train wreck of a field. Rad onc is dead and buried stay away..I don’t think this field is ever going to recover.
I’ve met incredibly smart DOs, and yes people should not be going into rad onc

That being, said “x matched at such and such allopathic program” is a big deal and way to bolster your point because the vast majority of programs do view osteopaths as being inferior whether fair or unfair. The bias is less so in the Midwest. These are the people that I’m the past would have gone to the carribean until the people starting the for profit carribean schools realized that the standards and cap to create osteopathic schools doesn’t exist. The students here are solid.

But they are not on the level of MDs, any DO saying they preferred it is the 1/10000 or lying. In fact, I interviewed at a DO school way back and they admitted they were used as practice interviews. They asked me if that’s what I was doing and I said I’m not sure maybe. Due to the simple fact I was honest they offered me a spot a week later on rolling Match.

The DO degree isn’t just discriminated against for programs it is for jobs as well because it is not recognized by patients and practices especially specialized rely on that. That’s why big law firms have Harvard grads.

Remember, you and others decided to go to DO school Knowing they have their own residency spot and prior to the process to apply to our slots took step 1, 2, 3 knowing that osteopathic training programs are pretty shady. You by your own actions are proving our point. The osteopathic brand in large is inferior and that’s not to be mean to say you aren’t smart it’s just a reality.

The people you’re conversing with could have been at top 10 programs in any speciality and were the cream od the crop back when getting into medical school was far more rigorous with few programs. I actually started off as a plastic surgery resident and 99% of programs would trash DO apps off the bat because it would make their prestige inferior if known to have matched such person (****ty and not something I agree with).

Again, you…by your own actions at an alopathic program (along with every other DO) prove our point. You took 3 extra board exams and along with all the other DOs view your own osteopathic programs as being so vastly inferior you overwhelmingly select our training. It’s bother you enough so when you know we’re right

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve met incredibly smart DOs, and yes people should not be going into rad onc

That being, said “x matched at such and such allopathic program” is a big deal and way to bolster your point because the vast majority of programs do view osteopaths as being inferior whether fair or unfair. The bias is less so in the Midwest. These are the people that I’m the past would have gone to the carribean until the people starting the for profit carribean schools realized that the standards and cap to create osteopathic schools doesn’t exist. The students here are solid.

But they are not on the level of MDs, any DO saying they preferred it is the 1/10000 or lying. In fact, I interviewed at a DO school way back and they admitted they were used as practice interviews. They asked me if that’s what I was doing and I said I’m not sure maybe. Due to the simple fact I was honest they offered me a spot a week later on rolling Match.

The DO degree isn’t just discriminated against for programs it is for jobs as well because it is not recognized by patients and practices especially specialized rely on that. That’s why big law firms have Harvard grads.

Remember, you and others decided to go to DO school Knowing they have their own residency spot and prior to the process to apply to our slots took step 1, 2, 3 knowing that osteopathic training programs are pretty shady. You by your own actions are proving our point. The osteopathic brand in large is inferior and that’s not to be mean to say you aren’t smart it’s just a reality.
You post is soo outdated dude it’s laughable… keep living under your rock. The residencies merged in 2015 and MANY previous DO programs made it to acgme accredidation. I also don’t know a single board certified DO in any specialty who can’t get a job because of they are a DO. And many people in places like California would rather go to a place like touro or western in Cali (admission stats on par with many lower tier MD scholls) than an out of state lower tier MD school in the middle of nowhere…

The people you’re conversing with could have been at top 10 programs in any speciality and were the cream od the crop back when getting into medical school was far more rigorous with few programs. I actually started off as a plastic surgery resident and 99% of programs would trash DO apps off the bat because it would make their prestige inferior if known to have matched such person (****ty and not something I agree with).

Again, you…by your own actions at an alopathic program (along with every other DO) prove our point. You took 3 extra board exams and along with all the other DOs view your own osteopathic programs as being so vastly inferior you overwhelmingly select our training. It’s bother you enough so when you know we’re right
under no circumstances was it harder to get into medical school 20-30 years ago then it’s now.. you’d be shocked to know that especially in surgical sub specialties USMD have and continue to match to previously Osteopathic residencies… why do they do that if the residencies were soo bad? Well cause they are acgme accredited like every other program

You post is soo outdated dude it’s laughable… keep living under your rock. The residencies merged in 2015 and MANY previous DO programs made it to acgme accredidation. I also don’t know a single board certified DO in any specialty who can’t get a job because of they are a DO. And many people in places like California would rather go to a place like touro or western in Cali (admission stats on par with many lower tier MD scholls) than an out of state lower tier MD school in the middle of nowhere…
This is completely false as is your other posts. I know a program director who literally told me he won’t take MD srudenrs because it’s already such a uphill battle for DOs

ACGME accreditation is something that was sought after, the merger didn’t happen until recently because the ACGME saw the shady programs churning people out and thought that at least requiring accreditation would prevent incompetent people from being churned out by these back alley DO school. These are MD standards, you get that right? I’m puzzled what you’re debating at or if osteopaths have a course meant to battle the stereotypes they are trained to answer. You can goto any forum on here and post this and people will know. The degree you hold is not recognized outside this country, why am I having to state this?

These residencies, these MD residencies are affiliated with MD medical schools man. They are nothing like the DO standards even DOs tell me this lol!

MDs match into DO specialties? Uhh…last year May have been the first year very few places may take a few but that’s not the case. Is this like your “A DO matched into nsg!” Post? It’s quite rare. Post it if you’re so confident

I don’t know if you’re trolling or incredibly insecure. You are going out of your way to defend a well known status quo on a page completely devoid from your residency while still being a pgy3 and lacking any real world experience. If reading comprehension is the issue, you just proved the other guy right…way to tell people you’re a DO without telling them you’re a DO.

Nobody, not even you would goto the best DO school over the worst MD school. You don’t even want to goto an osteopathic residency with acgme accreditation. Maybe MD residencies have a justified stereotype against DOs and their critical thinking capacity lol

Last edited:
Why should an oversubscribed specialty in the US like rad onc take any IMGs?
Because they have the most unfilled spots in the match every year and it's harder for IMGs to match into anything, everything else being equal. Plenty of IMGs matched rad onc this year looking at the bird

You’re in denial buddy, DO residencies do not equal MD ACGME residencies ( affiliated with MD med schools btw!!) lol

There is 100% some propaganda course they offer next to OMM for you guys to address the impending insecurities you guys face: I feel like I’m debating the NP family friends that try to justify why they didn’t goto medical school. Like them your own actions speak louder than your words. The world of IM is very different from specialties especially competitive ones. If you have no experience in it you probably shouldn’t be talking

Be proud of who you are and what you have accomplished

Last edited:
  • Haha
What major study or medical change, practice guideline, has ever come out of a DO school system / center?

What other countries even recognize you as a doctor?

I don’t know what the top IM programs are but guessing washU, MGH, UTSW etc

I haven’t looked but I’m guessing a very small % if any is DO…internal medicine the broadest of all still being scarce with DOs at top programs.

How many of these top programs are affiliated with DOn” schools? I’m trying to prove myself wrong from a logical perspective but man it’s not even close. Might as wel compare RN degrees to MDs

What major study or medical change, practice guideline, has ever come out of a DO school system / center?

What other countries even recognize you as a doctor?

I don’t know what the top IM programs are but guessing washU, MGH, UTSW etc

I haven’t looked but I’m guessing a very small % if any is DO…internal medicine the broadest of all still being scarce with DOs at top programs.

How many of these top programs are affiliated with DOn” schools? I’m trying to prove myself wrong from a logical perspective but man it’s not even close. Might as wel compare RN degrees to MDs
I feel like you’re going overboard, man. Lots of countries recognize the degree. You can see that from a simple Google search.

Medicine is an elitist field. Having a clear demarcation line like a different title makes it easy for DOs to get **** on. There is nothing wrong with DO training other than you have to learn a bunch of extra nonsense. The first two years of everyone’s med school is basically UFAPS anyway. It doesn’t matter if you’re at Harvard or a DO school. So you don’t need to further crap on DOs because we already get crapped on by having to do extra b.s. and then have a tougher time in the match.

DOs don’t purposefully go to ACGME residencies because DO ones are worse training. They do it because they play the game like everyone else. If you want a competitive fellowship, you want a more prestigious residency. It’s the same crap in all of academia.

Would I expect the smartest doctors someone has ever met to be a DO? No, because going DO is like taking the long and ****ty route to a destination instead of the straight shot with a nice view, so no one should reasonably choose it over MD. But DOs learn all the same ****, and being a great doctor is more than raw intelligence that can get you a 520 on the MCAT. I wouldn’t expect the smartest doctors anyone has ever met to come from a mid or low tier MD school either. Like I said, the DO title just sticks out as an easy demarcation line.

Because they have the most unfilled spots in the match every year and it's harder for IMGs to match into anything, everything else being equal. Plenty of IMGs matched rad onc this year looking at the bird
Saw matches from all over the world including Suez Canal medical school and somewhere in ethiopia.

• Wow
Gosh this thread has some buthurt people never did I equate MGH to a DO program.. YES traditional md prorgams are better but there are DO programs that made it to acgme that now take USMD’s… radiation oncolgy has some of the worst personalities in all of medicine based on this thread. All I am saying is there absolutely are people who choose DO over lower tier MD school. The best DO schools have match lists comparable to lower tier MD schools. Most of the people on this thread likely went to medical school in the 80’s and 90’s I can guarantee the admission standards right now to get into any DO school are higher than most USMD schools back then yet the vast majority of doctors from back then are doing fine in practice. Point is we need to stop s***ing on DO’s…

Last edited:
Point is we need to stop s***ing on DO’s…
I agree, but we should stop s***ing on radoncs in a radonc thread.

No one here is encouraging DOs to go into radonc, because no one here is encouraging anybody to go into radonc.

DOs are fine and the MD schools dropped the ball by not considering judicious expansion over the past several decades IMO.

But, I do think it is a mistake to deny that there is such a thing as academic excellence when it comes to teaching medicine.

I am a community doc and take pride in it. But, I am not preparing 20 hours for a definitive "Diagnosis and Management of acute Renal Failure" lecture, and I am not taking 2 hours a day to turn clinical cases into teaching experiences when a DO student rotates through.

Point is, at the best MD schools, MS3 is probably the time of greatest meaningful learning, and a fair bit of it is through formal didactics and deeply committed academic docs, who don't have to get through a high volume community day or have a ton of help in doing so.

If DO schools ever want to close the gap, they need to offer structured clinical year programs like the best MD schools. I would encourage DO grads to advocate for such or consider how this can be done.

Everyone here is aware that the prestige of radonc was artificial and in fact probably harmful to the field. However, you may want to peruse the online bios of PGY-2s at top ten radonc programs even today.

Reactions: 9 users

No one here is encouraging DOs to go into radonc, because no one here is encouraging anybody to go into radonc.

DOs are fine and the MD schools dropped the ball by not considering judicious expansion over the past several decades IMO.

But, I do think it is a mistake to deny that there is such a thing as academic excellence when it comes to teaching medicine.

I am a community doc and take pride in it. But, I am not preparing 20 hours for a definitive "Diagnosis and Management of acute Renal Failure" lecture, and I am not taking 2 hours a day to turn clinical cases into teaching experiences when a DO student rotates through.

Point is, at the best MD schools, MS3 is probably the time of greatest meaningful learning, and a fair bit of it is through formal didactics and deeply committed academic docs, who don't have to get through a high volume community day or have a ton of help in doing so.

If DO schools ever want to close the gap, they need to offer structured clinical year programs like the best MD schools. I would encourage DO grads to advocate for such or consider how this can be done.

Everyone here is aware that the prestige of radonc was artificial and in fact probably harmful to the field. However, you may want to peruse the online bios of PGY-2s at top ten radonc programs even today.
I’m trying to think what those illustrious bios did for our field over the last 15 years. I’m thinking real hard.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
did for our field
Need room to operate. They ran XRT elimination trials or did retrospective work. Maybe a little DEI work. A fair share of translational folks still trying to find that secret sauce combo that makes IO and XRT synergistically sing (lots of redundant work here). Some ion work.

Truth is, no field needs 1/3 of it's practitioners imagining themselves to be luminaries. Causes more harm than good.

But, if you had a new drug to test every 6 mos.....

Reactions: 2 users
I was told our field was DOA in 1997 by that dude with the yellow cover sheet packet (Flanigan or something). Dead wrong.

I was told our field was amazing in 2016 and headed for greatness (program expansion galore). Dead wrong.

What other predictions should I be relying on ?

I was told our field was DOA in 1997 by that dude with the yellow cover sheet packet (Flanigan or something). Dead wrong.

I was told our field was amazing in 2016 and headed for greatness (program expansion galore). Dead wrong.

What other predictions should I be relying on ?
It’s tough to make predictions. Especially about the future.

Gosh this thread has some buthurt people never did I equate MGH to a DO program.. YES traditional md prorgams are better but there are DO programs that made it to acgme that now take USMD’s… radiation oncolgy has some of the worst personalities in all of medicine based on this thread. All I am saying is there absolutely are people who choose DO over lower tier MD school. The best DO schools have match lists comparable to lower tier MD schools. Most of the people on this thread likely went to medical school in the 80’s and 90’s I can guarantee the admission standards right now to get into any DO school are higher than most USMD schools back then yet the vast majority of doctors from back then are doing fine in practice. Point is we need to stop s***ing on DO’s…
For some reason, you remind me of the gentleman referenced in this SkyMall ad I saw years ago.
1679495818027.png

My nurse is now concerned about my mental health due to my laughter.

owned GIF

But its the same, really ! Not.

Fun watch story: Just after the wall went down in Germany, I visited E Germany. Everything was cheap, as in so so cheap. Monopoloy money made you feel like a zillionaire. But.. what to buy? I bought chocolate and a watch. Without a doubt, the worst chocolate I've ever eaten. Also, the watch looked like a normal nice watch but, and this is true, it literally fell apart within hours of use. As in pieces. The food there was terrible. Was happy to "go back" to West Germany later in the day.

Last edited:
  • Wow

If I went to med school in the 90s, I'd probably be in one of my houses sitting on zoom discriminating against DO applicants instead of sitting on SDN trying to understand your argument.

Sigh.

• Haha

I find it ironic that top MD schools love talking about DEI while sitting on tremendous resources related to large endowments, NIH funding of indirect costs and high commercial payer rates that are not available to DO, foreign and lower tier MD medical schools. How much of this largess filters down to the medical student is unclear but this level of education is simply not feasible in a community hospital or safety net hospital environment.

Although DO schools MS3 years are not on par with the best USMD schools you have to acknowledge that MS3 and clinical rotations across even USMD schools is not uniformed, my DO school had many clinical sites where we had real teaching faculty with residents(with rigorous daily didactics) and some sites had limited resident exposure and more one on one with preceptor. The residency program I am at now their USMD affiliated medical school also has several sites and experiences for students with many being one on one with an attending as well. Newer USMD schools like nova, U Houston, frank netter and cal northstate prbly have worse rotations than say OK state’s DO school or a TCOM that have an actual academic center affiliated with them. Clinical Medical education across USMD and DO schools is in no way uniform. But I agree that clinical education across USDO schools should be improved but don’t think it’s that far off from what USMD students get tbh at some lower tier schools or new USMD schools.

Although DO schools MS3 years are not on par with the best USMD schools you have to acknowledge that MS3 and clinical rotations across even USMD schools is not uniformed, my DO school had many clinical sites where we had real teaching faculty with residents(with rigorous daily didactics) and some sites had limited resident exposure and more one on one with preceptor. The residency program I am at now their USMD affiliated medical school also has several sites and experiences for students with many being one on one with an attending as well. Newer USMD schools like nova, U Houston, frank netter and cal northstate prbly have worse rotations than say OK state’s DO school or a TCOM that have an actual academic center affiliated with them. Clinical Medical education across USMD and DO schools is in no way uniform. But I agree that clinical education across USDO schools should be improved but don’t think it’s that far off from what USMD students get tbh at some lower tier schools or new USMD schools.
Probably don't need any of the newer DO or MD schools. Just like we don't need any of the newer rad onc residency programs

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Probably don't need any of the newer do or MD schools. Just like we don't need any of the newer rad onc residency programs
I agree that most new schools that have opened in the last 5 years shouldn’t exist

I feel like you’re going overboard, man. Lots of countries recognize the degree. You can see that from a simple Google search.

Medicine is an elitist field. Having a clear demarcation line like a different title makes it easy for DOs to get **** on. There is nothing wrong with DO training other than you have to learn a bunch of extra nonsense. The first two years of everyone’s med school is basically UFAPS anyway. It doesn’t matter if you’re at Harvard or a DO school. So you don’t need to further crap on DOs because we already get crapped on by having to do extra b.s. and then have a tougher time in the match.

DOs don’t purposefully go to ACGME residencies because DO ones are worse training. They do it because they play the game like everyone else. If you want a competitive fellowship, you want a more prestigious residency. It’s the same crap in all of academia.

Would I expect the smartest doctors someone has ever met to be a DO? No, because going DO is like taking the long and ****ty route to a destination instead of the straight shot with a nice view, so no one should reasonably choose it over MD. But DOs learn all the same ****, and being a great doctor is more than raw intelligence that can get you a 520 on the MCAT. I wouldn’t expect the smartest doctors anyone has ever met to come from a mid or low tier MD school either. Like I said, the DO title just sticks out as an easy demarcation line.
Nobody is debating why DOs pursue it, we’re saying the same thing. He’s denying they are saying that it’s all the same when it’s not. He’s not touching his DO residencies with a 10 foot pole but preaching to us like the MD places are the same . He decided to goto DO school, it’s unfair but the realities myself and others posted are real

I’ll take a DO over a IMG any day I initially did post that it is unfair and I don’t agree with it.

Nobody is debating why DOs pursue it, we’re saying the same thing. He’s denying they are saying that it’s all the same when it’s not. He’s not touching his DO residencies with a 10 foot pole but preaching to us like the MD places are the same . He decided to goto DO school, it’s unfair but the realities myself and others posted are real
Lol in essence any program which obtains acgme accreditation meets the basic requirements, that’s all I am saying never did I say that power house MD residencies are the same as these DO residencies stop putting words in my mouth, but many are 100% better than some of these new HCA residencies which are opening up some of which are affiliated with new USMD schools. I don’t understand the supposed hate against DO, especially from rad onc PD’s while in essence USDO is simmilar to lower tier USMD schools.. maybe some even discriminate against new USMD and lower tier schools, who knows.

I understood the hate like 20-30 years ago but admissions standards to DO schools have risen significantly recently.

Last edited:
The elitism in this thread is very revealing of the core reason that RO is consistently at the top of the unmatched residencies list every year.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
The elitism in this thread is very revealing of the core reason that RO is consistently at the top of the unmatched residencies list every year.

Nah has more to do with the lack of jobs and money. The amount of **** people will put up with so get a cushy job with high pay is incredible. But as soon as you don’t have any nice vacations to sell…

Nah has more to do with the lack of jobs and money. The amount of **** people will put up with so get a cushy job with high pay is incredible. But as soon as you don’t have any nice vacations to sell…
Yea, in general docs are pricks.

But in regards to our field, the same docs in charge of residency programs prior to peak competitiveness are still in charge now so I don’t blame our entitlement.

Elitism very well may play a more insidious role in radiation than other specialties. A lot of the "leaders" entered the field when it was very uncompetitive and probably have (justified) inferiority complexes from being at the bottom of their med school classes. They really should have an imposter syndrome.

I'm listening to this podcast about job applications at ASTRO and it sucks. Who listens to this drivel besides me?

I really* really* should do a podcast and pull absolutely no punches. That will be fun, ...when I retire.

In my Dramon Green voice: Rad onc thought it was plastics(only other field that seems somewhat elitist but Prbly not to this level) but in reality it’s the new fam med

Status
Not open for further replies.