Applying to Texas medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

octopi314

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I go to college in Texas, but I am actually a Louisiana resident. I know Texas medical schools favor in-state applicants by 90-75% depending on the school, so will I be at a disadvantage? Is it possible that I could be considered an in-state applicant because I went to college here or would I need to change my residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you will be at a disadvantage. To my knowledge, all publics must take 90%+. No, you will not be considered a Texas resident if you have only attended college here. To be an in-state resident, you need to establish domicile as explained here:
http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/residency.html

I am from Minnesota and gained in-state status for medical school this way.

So I go to college in Texas, but I am actually a Louisiana resident. I know Texas medical schools favor in-state applicants by 90-75% depending on the school, so will I be at a disadvantage? Is it possible that I could be considered an in-state applicant because I went to college here or would I need to change my residency?
Considering the "tie" that you have to the state, if you are a strong candidate, it's still probably worth applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, you will be at a disadvantage. To my knowledge, all publics must take 90%+. No, you will not be considered a Texas resident if you have only attended college here. To be an in-state resident, you need to establish domicile as explained here:
http://www.utsystem.edu/tmdsas/medical/residency.html

I am from Minnesota and gained in-state status for medical school this way.
Thanks! If I am not dependent from my parents would them establishing domicile make me a resident?

Thanks! If I am not dependent from my parents would them establishing domicile make me a resident?

Yes, but you have to work for 20 hours per week for one year prior to Oct 1 of the application season. If you apply on May 1st, I think you have to show you worked for 1 year prior to May 1st.

I met a guy on the interview trail who went to school in Texas but was OOS, he said he had a Texas school interview where the first question was what was his tie/family link to Texas, he said he explained how he went to school there and liked it there/etc., but didn't have family there and the interviewer terminated the interview after that question. One story of course, but I was quite surprised by it.

I met a guy on the interview trail who went to school in Texas but was OOS, he said he had a Texas school interview where the first question was what was his tie/family link to Texas, he said he explained how he went to school there and liked it there/etc., but didn't have family there and the interviewer terminated the interview after that question. One story of course, but I was quite surprised by it.
I had the same thing happen to a friend of mine. She was a Texas resident and applied to LSU NOLA. They actually called her and asked her if she had any significant tie to the state (which she didn't). When she told them no, they told her that they could not grant her an interview unless she had lived in or had family in Louisiana. At least she was told by a phone call, that really sucks to go all the way to the interview just to be turned down immediately.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Baylor College of Medicine is an exception. And Texas schools do take out-of-staters. They're just not a majority.