Applying to Texas Schools only if you are TX resident with 3.7/33 Mcat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed2013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying to Texas schools only if you are TX resident with 3.7/33. Good idea or bad idea

Members don't see this ad.

Applying to Texas schools only if you are TX resident with 3.7/33. Good idea or bad idea

I personally think you are golden if you do that. The average MCAT is 30 and the average GPA is a 3.6. I think you have a great shot.

Any reason that it would be a bad idea? :confused:

Go for it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a TX resident, you have the best shot at TX schools than anywhere else. Highly unlikely that you would be accepted OOS and not in-state. Applying to only in-state schools is a good plan in my opinion. I wish I had done the same and not wasted my money elsewhere.

lots of my friends with that grade and mcat from texas got into texas schools. your good.

be sure to apply early though (i.e. early june). I had friends with better stats than that not get in anywhere because they applied too late.

You should be fine, but you never know. Med school admissions can be a crapshoot. That being said, I only applied to Texas schools with a 30/3.6 and got accepted to multiple schools. Like others said, make sure to apply early.

The thought of just applying to 8 or so programs with your good-but-not-great numbers would give me pause.

A 3.7/33 will likely get you interviews at every program in Texas, with most likely at least a couple of choices for acceptances as well.

A 3.7/33 will likely get you interviews at every program in Texas, with most likely at least a couple of choices for acceptances as well.

Those "likely"'s make all the difference in the world, though, don't they? The MD acceptance game isn't one where you take the unlikely unseriously. (Triple-negative word score.)

Those "likely"'s make all the difference in the world, though, don't they? The MD acceptance game isn't one where you take the unlikely unseriously. (Triple-negative word score.)

Well I say likely because I don't like making guarantees that I obviously have no control over. But I've never heard of anyone applying with =/>3.7 & =/>30 and NOT being accepted by at least 1 Texas school if they were a TX resident.

Not to diminish the TX schools or anything - they're great, the admissions process here is just overall less competitive than elsewhere in the country.

Being a TX resident, you have the best shot at TX schools than anywhere else. Highly unlikely that you would be accepted OOS and not in-state. Applying to only in-state schools is a good plan in my opinion. I wish I had done the same and not wasted my money elsewhere.

This.

I wish I hadn't wasted something like $2000 in all applying (and interviewing) broadly via AMCAS. With stats very similar to yours, I got interviews at every TX school besides UTMB and pre-matched or was offered spots off of waitlists at many of them (waitlist movement happened on the same day at two schools, go figure).

You'll be fine as long as you're not a huge toolbox during an interview or have zero clinical/life experience. But if those are true, applying OOS won't help you either.

Texas isn't anything like California with med school admissions. It's a very safe bet for a student with those numbers to apply to only 8 texas schools and get an (probably multiple) acceptance...probably close to 100% if he applies early, and doesn't have a red flag in his app like ****ty LORs/PS. If he pulled out a knife or lit a joint on the interview trail or something, then maybe he would have some problems.

HOWEVER, you are right that in states like CA and NY, applying to your states and 8 total is crazy

Those stats are an auto-interview from UTSW

It seems like it's almost a guarantee that I would be accepted somewhere in Texas. But, when I look at the TMDSAS admission statistics only half matriculated. GPA between 3.67-4.0- 677 out of 1274. Does going to a top liberal arts college in the northeast help me in anyway in terms of diversity?

It seems like it's almost a guarantee that I would be accepted somewhere in Texas. But, when I look at the TMDSAS admission statistics only half matriculated. GPA between 3.67-4.0- 677 out of 1274. Does going to a top liberal arts college in the northeast help me in anyway in terms of diversity?

The other 50% likely opted for private OOS schools. Does it say they didn't get accepted or that they didn't matriculate? The latter tells you nothing about their success

Texas isn't anything like California with med school admissions. It's a very safe bet for a student with those numbers to apply to only 8 texas schools and get an (probably multiple) acceptance...probably close to 100% if he applies early, and doesn't have a red flag in his app like ****ty LORs/PS. If he pulled out a knife or lit a joint on the interview trail or something, then maybe he would have some problems.

HOWEVER, you are right that in states like CA and NY, applying to your states and 8 total is crazy

Not arguing any of that. My point applies more broadly than just CA and NY though. Problem is is that people don't really know when they have a ****ty LOR or PS. There's better advice than I can give already in this thread, I just think that applying strategically in surrounding states via AMCAS might not break the bank and bump that "probably close to" 100% to even closer to 100%.

The other 50% likely opted for private OOS schools. Does it say they didn't get accepted or that they didn't matriculate? The latter tells you nothing about their success

The other 50% went to Baylor.

just kidding :)

Whats the acceptance rate for texas residents to medical school overall?