Is it worth applying to a school if you are above the 90th percentile?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed123321

Reaction score
I have a 520 MCAT, which is good, but not knock your socks off good. I am kind of in a limbo. I am trying to add more "safety" schools to my list, but a lot of 510-513 MCAT medians have 90th percentiles just below 520. And its hard to find those with good OOS matriculation rates on MSAR (VA resident). Anyone in a similar situation have suggestions on which schools to apply to?

Indiana University seemed to be a gem (no secondary) as did St. Louis (good OOS matriculation rate). With a school list of around 25, I feel like 6-8 schools should be where I am in the 90th percentile to give myself a good shot of getting into med school (maybe this is wrong as well?).

Members don't see this ad.

I have a 520 MCAT, which is good, but not knock your socks off good.
520 is the 97th percentile. The confidence interval for that score includes the 99th percentile. I have to hope you are joking.
That said, most OOS public schools know that their chance of matriculating you is so low that an interview is wasted. Similarly, private schools (like SLU) are not going to see you as a likely matriculant (unless you have some compelling reason to sway them). Wash U is a much better choice.

Focus on your state schools as well as OOS (mostly private) schools that are a match for your stats, mission and, to some extent, region.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
I have a 520 MCAT, which is good, but not knock your socks off good. I am kind of in a limbo. I am trying to add more "safety" schools to my list, but a lot of 510-513 MCAT medians have 90th percentiles just below 520. And its hard to find those with good OOS matriculation rates on MSAR (VA resident). Anyone in a similar situation have suggestions on which schools to apply to?

Indiana University seemed to be a gem (no secondary) as did St. Louis (good OOS matriculation rate). With a school list of around 25, I feel like 6-8 schools should be where I am in the 90th percentile to give myself a good shot of getting into med school (maybe this is wrong as well?).
Are you fishing for compliments?
Look at the MSAR and if your MCAT is far to the right of the chart (not even on the chart for a school) cross those off.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your problem, as intimated by @gyngyn is that schools will yield protect meaning that they won't interview you if they think that there is a high likelihood that you'll go elsewhere if given the chance. If they interviewed too many people like that, they might end the cycle with empty seats and no one on the waitlist.

With that MCAT, you really need research experience, even a tiny bit, and a good written application. Know yourself, know what you are looking for in a school and the right schools will come knocking. Making a case for certain schools because of their strengths, their mission (e.g. SLU and the other Jesuit schools are about "caring for the whole person") or geography can make sense.

Reactions: 3 users
Are you fishing for compliments?
Look at the MSAR and if your MCAT is far to the right of the chart (not even on the chart for a school) cross those off.
I dont know, I just read a lot of previous reddit threads where this score is not good enough to worry about yield protection. I was very happy with my score and it was higher than my practice FLs.

Yes. I received 2 full-tuition scholarships from schools with a 515 MCAT average, and I got a 524. If you’re a good fit for a school, don’t worry about yield protection

Reactions: 5 users
Yes. I received 2 full-tuition scholarships from schools with a 515 MCAT average, and I got a 524. If you’re a good fit for a school, don’t worry about yield protection
Second this.

All of my MD As were from OOS public schools that I was a good fit for. One, I was 7 points above their 90th

Reactions: 2 users
I dont know, I just read a lot of previous reddit threads where this score is not good enough to worry about yield protection. I was very happy with my score and it was higher than my practice FLs.
Ahh, reddit. The cesspool of the internet.

Forgot everything that you've learned there regarding med school admissions.

• Haha
I had a 521 and was accepted to SLU this cycle, though I am from St Louis so I’m sure that helped. I think if you are a good fit or have ties to a certain school you can avoid yield protection (if that’s even a real thing)

Reactions: 4 users

In what world is a 520 not knock your socks off good? St.Louis is a private, Jesuit run school so you can live anywhere and it’s fine. Indiana is a state school.

Honestly I was in a similarish spot as you. I got into my in-state schools mostly.

Look, even if you have perfect grades and the service record of Nelson Mandela, you should still apply to your in-state MD schools. And probably some nice DO schools near you. Just to guard against Murphy's law.

From there on out make your list based off where you want and where you're competitive.

Reactions: 1 user