1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Applying to Texas Schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by fortheart, Jul 24, 2011.

1. fortheart

Pre-Dental
    Currently, I'm studying at the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania for my undergraduate degree. As most others, I'm quite interested in applying to the three Texas dental schools.
    I am eligible for Texas residency since one of my parents has been living in Texas for a number of years now, however I have been studying in Pennsylvania for both high school and college.

Would the office of admissions look negatively at the fact that I'm a resident, yet I've have not attended high school/undergrad in Texas?

I would think it wouldn't matter, but after I viewed a number of posts made by others who are applying to Texas schools, and it seems that Baylor (which is one of my top choices) tends to pick more students who attended undergrad there compared to other Texas colleges (not to mention the fact that I haven't even attended college in Texas.)

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. crew09

crew09 Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    For tuition purposes, each TX school has different requirements when it's not the norm. Your best bet is to email/call each school to understand what your classification would be.

4. slm266

slm266 Dentist
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    To determine your residency, they will ask you questions such as:

Were you born in tx?
    Did you graduate HS in tx?
    Have you lived in tx for the past year?
    Do you own residential property in tx?
    Have you been gainfully employed in tx for the past year?

Can you answer yes to any of these questions? I assume you're over 18, and simply having a relative (other than a spouse) in tx doesn't qualify you as a resident.

5. slm266

slm266 Dentist
    5+ Year Member

Dentist
    Schools don't care about the details as long as you qualify as a resident.

During which years of your life did you live in Texas?