Applying to two different specialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eagles6389

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With their being the AOA and ACGME matches, I was wondering if anyone has experience with applying to a competitive residency in the AOA match, but also preparing to apply to a different residency for the ACGME match (in case he/she does not match in the AOA match).

For example: Having Orthopedic Surgery as your #1 preferred residency choice, with Anesthesia as a second choice. Then, entering the AOA match for orthopedic surgery, while planning to enter the ACGME match for anesthesia if not successful in matching AOA Ortho (since ACGME Ortho as a D.O. is much more difficult than AOA Ortho).

Members don't see this ad.

With their being the AOA and ACGME matches, I was wondering if anyone has experience with applying to a competitive residency in the AOA match, but also preparing to apply to a different residency for the ACGME match (in case he/she does not match in the AOA match).

For example: Having Orthopedic Surgery as your #1 preferred residency choice, with Anesthesia as a second choice. Then, entering the AOA match for orthopedic surgery, while planning to enter the ACGME match for anesthesia if not successful in matching AOA Ortho (since ACGME Ortho as a D.O. is much more difficult than AOA Ortho).

I've heard of students doing that. The AOA match day is in February while ACGME match day is in March. If you matched AOA, you get pulled out of the ACGME match. I had a classmate who tried to match AOA ortho, but wasn't able to and matched into an ACGME general surgery pre-lim program.

I've heard of students doing that. The AOA match day is in February while ACGME match day is in March. If you matched AOA, you get pulled out of the ACGME match. I had a classmate who tried to match AOA ortho, but wasn't able to and matched into an ACGME general surgery pre-lim program.
From Ortho to a surg prelim is a pretty big drop. Good on him for trying again (I assume after the prelim), but not a strategy I would pick.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
From Ortho to a surg prelim is a pretty big drop. Good on him for trying again (I assume after the prelim), but not a strategy I would pick.

Yea, I know. I think he really wanted ortho, so props to him for going through the match cycle again.

Decently common for those aiming for high specialties, the common two I heard of the most was Ortho AOA and ACGME Rads. This works because for most of those types of ACGME fields auditions aren't important.

So, 'gaming' the match. I have never heard of this being done, but I assume people have tried. This would still require two distinct apps that say "I want x 100%". AOA programs also want the auditions done, and or course you need great letters in each specialty.

How much are you willing to work for it?

this happens all the time in the competitive fields.

i think every applicant i met on the interview trail last year was doing this. you need to play the odds.

this happens all the time in the competitive fields.

i think every applicant i met on the interview trail last year was doing this. you need to play the odds.

What is the common ACGME back up for NS? On another note how is being an intern?

What is the common ACGME back up for NS? On another note how is being an intern?

Lots of people applied general surgery. Some had ortho as a back up.

Intern year is very challenging and very humbling. The struggle is a lot worse than I imagined, honestly. I get my **** kicked in on a daily basis, but it is very rewarding and fulfilling.