applying to US medical schools as a canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

8jmyl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm retaking my MCAT this August, so will I be heavily disadvantaged due to the rolling admissions system at some medical schools? I'm under the impression that they won't review my application until they receive my new scores even if I submit my application on June 1st.

What're my chances of getting into a US medical school with the following stats:
My GPA is 3.8/ 4.3 and my previous MCAT is 10 PS 8 VR 10 BS O WS
I have an NSERC, volunteer at the hospital and local family doctor's clinic, led a couple university clubs

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your GPA is competitive, from what I can gather from the linked conversion scale. Your ECs however, appear to be lacking. Care to elaborate on them (hours served, type of work, etc.)?

I agree with DOCBERT.. I know the NSERC is a big deal, but did you publish/present the work you did with it? and with your volunteer stuff.. whether or not you are lacking in ECs depends on the length of time you did a certain activity for, not just the number of different activities... and yea.. that MCAT score... you might get interviewed at some lower tier schools, but with your GPA, I'm assuming you're shooting for a mid-high tier.. so that MCAT should try to match your GPA. (You know the story about how MCAT is standardized while GPA isn't as much, etc..):luck:

The research I did for NSERC was for 16 weeks for a biotechnology company. No, I didn't get published for any of the work I did there unfortunately. We never got to finish the project I was working on, should i email my PI and ask about chances of authorship? It has been 9 months since I've worked there but I've stayed in touch with my PI

My volunteer work at the hospital is in the renal dialysis unit. Each shift is only for an hour, so I've only accumulated 30 hours of service. I'm also an executive on the hospital auxilary branch as an orientation leader, in charge of planing and executing the Orientation for new volunteers.

I've also volunteered for a cancer clinical trials group for 80 hours, but most of it was inputting data into spreadsheets so i don't know how significant this work is..

Haha ya I'm definitely trying to aim for at least a mid-tier school. Going to spend this entire summer studying for my mcat, hopefully I can own it.
Thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate it