Applying to US resident as USMG but Canadian citizen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaterChicken

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone has any info on applying to residencies as a USMG (MD school) but not being a US citizen. I was accepted and moved from Canada.

The program directors I’ve asked really said it doesn’t matter, some students have said it’s mainly the issue if they offer VISA’s, but seems to be hard to find any clear info.

Interested in some integrated surgical programs, so a bit more competitive for matching.

Members don't see this ad.

I would start by reading this thread, if you haven't already: Orientation about Visas ??

In general, non-US citizens who graduate from US medical schools do well in the match. Your need for a visa may limit your choice of programs. Some programs won't take people on visas at all, some only J visas, and some will offer H1b. If you were applying to a broad field with lots of spots, like IM, there would be absolutely no problem. Applying to something like Intergrated Plastics may be much more of a challenge.

A similar example: we matched a great Canadian citizen from a US school. His performance, exams, research were all fantastic. He applied for a GI fellowship, would normally have gotten 10+ interviews. Instead, he got two -- one from us, and one from another program. He ranked his two spots, and matched. But it was a nail biter for us all. But he was on an H visa, and that might have limited his options even more.

• Care
Reactions: 1 user