Applying to vet school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GizmoKitty

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!:)

I believe this is the first time I am posting on this forum but I have been visiting for a long time. Long story short, I have found my love for animals since I was little and have wanted to become a vet. However, there has been so many obstacles (personal and financial issues) getting in the way. Recently I have finally decided to give myself a chance and reconsidering applying to vet school. I would like to know what do you think of my chances of getting in.

I received my undergrad degree in Biochemistry in a SUNY school that weren't big on animal sciences (only related course i have is animal physiology). I have all the pre-reqs for the school I am interested in applying (Illinois). My GPA was 3.67 (BCPM ~3.64). GRE I took over three years ago was about 1300, writing: 3.5; which i need to retake, and I assume i can reach around the same score or maybe a little better. I have also been out of school for over 2 years now... and so far I have only been volunteering at an animal shelter. Cumulatively i have more than 2000 hours of animal experiences (mostly with shelter animals and a little bit with horses). I also have a few hours observing shelter and clinical vets (~30hrs).

Do you think I should attempt to apply? The only school I am considering is Illinois because of money and I wish to stay with family. I feel the undergrads here at UIUC probably have better chances because of their wonderful animal science program. Do they look at non-traditional applicants differently (although i don't have any work experience to offer)? And if I don't get in the first time, does vet school or AAVMC save your information for the second round (especially eLORs)? Any input or suggestion is greatly appreciated!! Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Well for starters, welcome to the posting world. :)

I see no reason why you shouldn't apply. I've certainly heard of people getting in with GPA averages and your GRE is great! Make sure you retake it soon though, they're changing the format around sometime this summer and it's supposed to be quite a bit different, potentially harder.

I'm sure over the next couple weeks you'll be able to get a better feel for where you stand with respect to the rest of the pack as people post their stats and where they got accepted to.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome. There is an introduce yourself here thread that would have probably been a better place to post since there are many many threads on the board like this one.

Your stats look pretty good to me, but for most schools you will need to get in a LOT more vet experience hours. That is the issue I have. I have about 40 hours as of right now and my goal is to have at least 300-400 hours when I apply. This will still be low compared to many, but I have very strong GPA and good GRE (3.99 GPA and 1280 GRE with 5 for writing).

Glad to hear you are following your dreams, I hope you get in. I started a class of 2016 hopefuls thread, if you would like to post more info there. Also, we will be doing things like looking over eachothers personal statements and making suggesstions on how to improve them. It is just a general thread for us to get to know eachother and talk about which schools we want to apply to and whatever struggles or questions we have without starting a new thread every time someone has a question.

Members don't see this ad :)
YES. Do it. Get more experience, and I think your chances are great. But go for it, if you don't, you may always wonder!

Your stats are very competitive except for a shortage of veterinary experience. Since applications aren't due until October, though, you have plenty of time to fix that. The only other thing would be to strongly consider applying to two or three other schools. Different schools look for different qualities and while you are competitive, there are never any guarantees.

Thanks all for all your replies!! It really makes me feel more confident knowing that my stats are not at the bottom of the pool.

I am looking into animal related work right now and will be asking around for shadowing opportunities. Hopefully I can get more experience by the time i apply. It's just not so easy for someone without a car :smack:

Sorry I wasn't aware of the introduction thread. I'll join your thread squirrel, since I know I will have lots more questions as I get more ready to apply :laugh: