Applying to VR&E after using most of post 911

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faris_

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an acceptance to dental school and have 5 months left of post 911. VA rated 60%. I know GI Bill time counts toward VRE but not the other way around. 48-31= 17 months remaining if I get VRE today. How would that exactly work out? Is the VA going to give me 17 months of benefits or just outright reject the application because 17 months isn't enough time to cover dental school??

Members don't see this ad.

VRE has to see you through the program. Thus, they will either reject you outright or approve you for the entirety with an extension. To get an extension, the VRC must determine you have a severe employment handicap (SEH). Are you planning on using the last 5 months before the start of dental school? I'd recommend to save it if possible. It will ensure more time available for VRE as a just in case, and will be 5 extra months for later if you decide to do a residency or another degree after dental school. If they say no, then you just use it for whichever the next period that follows and it will hardly make a difference in the long run.

So apply VRE ASAP, especially with the acceptance in hand now.

VRE has to see you through the program. Thus, they will either reject you outright or approve you for the entirety with an extension. To get an extension, the VRC must determine you have a severe employment handicap (SEH). Are you planning on using the last 5 months before the start of dental school? I'd recommend to save it if possible. It will ensure more time available for VRE as a just in case, and will be 5 extra months for later if you decide to do a residency or another degree after dental school. If they say no, then you just use it for whichever the next period that follows and it will hardly make a difference in the long run.

So apply VRE ASAP, especially with the acceptance in hand now.
It is gonna be hard not using the remaining of the post 911 since I have a family and I don't want to take out loans for as long as I can since there's a good possibility I can graduate with minimal debt (Texas = Hazlewood act would cover tuition after gibill runs out). I wasn't sure if they would support the program partially but you're making it clear it's all or nothing with the VR&E, that's what I was afraid of.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll get cracking on that application then. I joined the VRE fb group before but didn't find it that helpful. Is there a resource you could recommend regarding the ins and outs of this application?