Applying Urology as DO student / dual applying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

4thtimeretaker

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, searched the threads and didn't find much information about applying as an osteopathic student. Had a few general questions.

What Step 1 and Step 2 / Level 1 and Level 2 scores are considered competitive for old AOA programs?

How heavy of an emphasis do Urology programs place on Step 2/Level 2?

How many audition rotations are considered sufficient?

How can I go about getting research in Urology?

I know Urology has its own separate application from other specialties, how does Dual Applying work? Will Urology programs see I applied to two fields, will the second field know I applied to Urology?

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't speak for previous osteopathic programs, but if they are anything like their allopathic counterparts then the answer is fairly competitive. I believe after the merger, MD students can apply to these programs as well. Prior to step 1 being P/F, a 250+ would be considered "competitive" while anything over a 240 would be seen favorably (or at least it wouldn't close too many doors). Very few programs used to care about step 2, but I suspect this will replace step 1 from an objective standpoint. You should aim for over a 250. I know nothing about DO exams, sorry.

I would recommend 1 home rotation and 2 aways, but it depends on how well known your home institution is. If most people haven't heard of your school, I would do more, and be thoughtful about where you are rotating as these will be your best shot at matching. If you are in osteopathic school, you will probably want to do more.

For research, I would reach out to the Urology residents to try to get a feel for who is productive in the department, and then reach out to them. If you do not have a home program, this will be a significant barrier. In that case, I would reach out to the closest academic center and see if/how you can get involved.

You can apply to two fields, they will not know you are dual applying. If you have 5 Urology papers and you're applying to FM, they may suspect something but people do have a change of heart in 3rd year. It wouldn't be looked down on.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
You might have to double dip. Do some DO aways and MD aways so you can network in both worlds. 240+ USMLE and 610+ COMLEX are favorable for level 1 exams and then for level 2 just do the same or better. Research is variable from program to program. I am a DO in Urology, feel free to DM me.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users