Applying with a Declining GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

member9876

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey all.

I'd appreciate your input, especially any adcoms. My GPA throughout my first 3 semesters was a 3.97 including Orgo 1/2, Cell, and Genetics, but then I had several medical problems that persisted through graduation. My transcript includes several withdrawals and incompletes that were finished during the summer,a medical leave of absence and a final GPA of 3.70. I was diagnosed my senior year and had surgery to correct the issue after graduation. My health has been much improved.

How much detail of this should I include in my applications? How with this effect my candidacy at top 25 med schools? Is there anything else I should do?

Other relevant information:
BS in Physics (missed a Biochem double major by 3 credits)
My college ECs are pretty bad (see above) but I did take a year off between high school and college working as a Pediatric Medical Assistant.
My MCAT score was a 13/14/15 for a 42O.

Thanks for your help!
 
A 3.7 isn't bad at all, and your MCAT score is incredible. Academically, I wouldn't worry too much. However, you will need to explain the reasons behind your falling GPA and the leave of absence. Hopefully, the issues are all resolved.

What I would be worried about is the ECs. If a pediatric MA between high school and college is all you can give us, you will need to take some time to improve your ECs. Get some hospital volunteering STAT. And find some other ECs that you enjoy doing. With a compelling story and your numbers, you may be able to get away with a little less in terms of ECs. But it will be hard to stand out (especially at top schools).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a declining GPA and look what happened to me!

Oh wait I didn't have a 42 MCAT.

😡
 
3.70 isn't that bad and you have a compelling reason that played a significant part in your life. That still isn't an excuse for your lack of EC's, although that 42 might get you a little love. I would address it in the PS.
 
i would agree normally, but for medical leave? with a 42? and a GPA that's still pretty good?
 
Thanks for the responses. I didn't mean to troll and yeah sometimes I can be neurotic. Most of the books I've read said you want to show improvement with your GPA and my GPA was close to a point lower the second half of my college career. I also couldn't find anything about withdrawals or medical leave, but I figured they probably weren't good things to have on a transcript.

As far as ECs go, I've done summer research and had it published, joined a community service fraternity, but haven't really held a leadership position. Some people have ECs pages long.