ian21

Apr 22, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hello guys,

I am really concerned with my chances in getting in dental school this cycle. My overall gpa is ~3.3 and science gpa is a ~3.1. I took the DAT once and scored an AA: 18 and am planning on retaking it in August. With my low stats, I'm afraid that my chances of getting in is slim due to my application not being complete until probably September. Can anyone please provide me with advice or insight? Thank you.

Bigjt1420

5+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hello guys,

I am really concerned with my chances in getting in dental school this cycle. My overall gpa is ~3.3 and science gpa is a ~3.1. I took the DAT once and scored an AA: 18 and am planning on retaking it in August. With my low stats, I'm afraid that my chances of getting in is slim due to my application not being complete until probably September. Can anyone please provide me with advice or insight? Thank you.
I had a lower overall GPA than you but slightly higher science, and I ended up getting into 2 schools the first cycle I tried. I did get a 24 on the DAT though. I would suggest you retaking the DAT and studying HARD because you probably need a score of 22+ to be competitive, in my opinion. Admissions needs to see some score that they can stand firm and say "see! this person can handle dental school."

I wouldn't even apply this cycle, if I were you. Completing your app in September, while I know they say it's fine and you'll still be on top of the pile, I don't believe it. Strengthen your app, kill the DAT, maybe take some classes to boost your GPA a bit over the next year, do some shadowing, and apply next June right as the app opens up.

Just my opinion, hope it works out for you! BTW, I'm a soon-to-be D3 and doing very, very well in Dental School. Don't worry about being able to handle school even though you have a lower GPA. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users

the_molar_bear

Oct 19, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Hello guys,

You’re correct that your chances are slim. You have a poor gpa and a poor dat. Either boost up your gpa with a masters or get a 22+ on the dat. if you are able to improve one, I would apply

Reactions: 1 users
About the Ads

MandalorianDMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jan 12, 2020
I’ve seen people with 17AA and 18AA get in. You have a decent chance. Retaking the DAT can help. Just don’t do worse. Any sections under 18?

Most people on SDN that are active do not represent the majority of matriculates.

To understand the student body, you’d need to know medians and ranges, not just averages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

LegendaryPanda

2+ Year Member
May 7, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I’ve seen people with 17AA and 18AA get in. You have a decent chance. Retaking the DAT can help. Just don’t do worse. Any sections under 18?

Most people on SDN that are active do not represent the majority of matriculates.

To understand the student body, you’d need to know medians and ranges, not just averages.

I disagree.

Those are the exception and not the norm.

A 18 is 45 percentile, and 17 is 31 percentile, with the average mean being 18.8 according to 2017 manual.

As for your claim for matriculate, I think you have not been looking at the recent stats. The average for a class of 2019 matriculant is 3.55c/3.45s and 20.5AA. OP has a chance, but chances aren’t decent at all.

MandalorianDMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jan 12, 2020
I disagree.

Those are the exception and not the norm.

A 18 is 45 percentile, and 17 is 31 percentile, with the average mean being 18.8 according to 2017 manual.

As for your claim for matriculate, I think you have not been looking at the recent stats. The average for a class of 2019 matriculant is 3.55c/3.45s and 20.5AA. OP has a chance, but chances aren’t decent at all.

You are entitled to your opinion, but please read more carefully when I had stated that you cannot just base everything off of statistics that provide averages only.

No one will argue that higher scores aren’t better and safer to have; just like a higher income is safer and better to have in life.

ian21

Apr 22, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental

Thank you for the advice. Yeah, the section that was holding me back from getting a higher DAT score were both chemistry sections. I've been using dentalschoolexplorer to look up stats of schools. I feel like if I can raise my DAT score, I might have a shot at some schools if I apply broadly.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.