Applying with MPH + 2 B.S. Degrees - Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uzq

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have the potential option of completing an MPH during undergrad, meaning I will graduate with this masters and two bachelors. The caveat being that I will need to take an additional year and graduate in 5 yrs. Is acquiring an MPH worth it for a school like Columbia P&S? Will they pay attention to it? My ugrad GPA will be at ~3.7 if I apply this upcoming cycle but hopefully a ~3.8 + MPH track if I apply the next. I am just trying to make sure that when I apply to Columbia I give myself the best possible chance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What’s your MCAT score and ECs look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s your MCAT score and ECs look like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My ECs are exceptional/unique. I have not taken my MCAT yet. My BCPM isn't super strong (lower than 3.7). One of my majors is in the humanities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia I'd say has a little more tilt toward the humanities (in a good way) than most other schools of its caliber. Especially languages (that is in fact my impetus for that conclusion at all).

After some reading I realize that an MPH may be useless for me. What is the best way to use a gap year to as to heighten my chances for columbia? My biggest weakness on my application is my science GPA, which falls around a ~3.3 right now (too many Bs in the beginning, but upward trend) My courses next semester will literally be all humanities.

I don't want to pay for post bacc/SMP. Should I take more science courses during a 5th year? Should I pursue a masters in public health? Should I pursue a masters in something else?

After some reading I realize that an MPH may be useless for me. What is the best way to use a gap year to as to heighten my chances for columbia? My biggest weakness on my application is my science GPA, which falls around a ~3.3 right now (too many Bs in the beginning, but upward trend) My courses next semester will literally be all humanities.

I don't want to pay for post bacc/SMP. Should I take more science courses during a 5th year? Should I pursue a masters in public health? Should I pursue a masters in something else?
Dude I have my dream school too but you can't count on getting into one school, let alone some top 10. Virtually nobody can

A 3.7/3.3 with an upward trend isn't bad but it definitely isn't great either, so your chances will be heavily determined by that MCAT score, which you don't have yet

Can you take classes besides humanities ones next semester? It'd probably help

My ECs are exceptional/unique. I have not taken my MCAT yet. My BCPM isn't super strong (lower than 3.7). One of my majors is in the humanities.
What is your idea of “exceptional/unique EC”