Applying without a Bachelor's

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theavrock

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if you can think of any disadvantages of applying without a bachelor's degree. I started my undergrad about three years after high school, so I a little older but not anything too bad. I guess I like the fact of being able to do my prereq's and get started with pod school sooner than going another semester and finishing up a bunch of classes that aren't going to factor into my career anyways. Thoughts on this? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys I was wondering if you can think of any disadvantages of applying without a bachelor's degree. I started my undergrad about three years after high school, so I a little older but not anything too bad. I guess I like the fact of being able to do my prereq's and get started with pod school sooner than going another semester and finishing up a bunch of classes that aren't going to factor into my career anyways. Thoughts on this? Thanks!

I applied to Scholl without a BS. I had already made up my mind that i wanted to be a DPM. So i thought it was silly to waste 1yr and $40000 (tuition +housing) of final year. I was just prolonging things. So i decided not to do my final year.

One disadvantage that i think is, god forbid you drop out of DPM, then basically you are a zero because you have no degree at all.

I think BS / License in allied health (RN, Pharmacy, Radiography, MRI, Dental Hygeine, Med Technologist) really helps as you can work few hours and make some extra money.

The only disadvantages I see are that you can't probably can't do a dual degree (MBA, MPH, MS, etc) without having a bachelor's degree first.

Also, you might be a bit thinner on undergrad advanced sciences than some classmates. I guess it depends on what exactly that "bunch of classes that aren't going to factor into my career" are, but a background in biochem, physio, micro, immuno, anat, etc will be handy in a medical program. It is proven that people with more credits or previous graduate degrees generally perform better in medical programs. However, I agree that high level chemistry, physics, math, etc, are probably somewhat of a waste of time and $ for a pre-health professional, though (the exception might be high level stats for a researcher).

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Interesting thread and reading this reminds me of my one friend who graduated in my class and went on to get his A.D/R.N degree from community college within a span of 2 years. So while I and other friends were busy in a traditional 4 year undergrad, he was already working in the ER and talking to him he expressed that he wants to go back to undergrad and complete his BS/RN and take advanced science classes on the side as he wants to go into Emergency Medicine (MD program). I mean, the guy is a practical genius; I took AP bio, AP Chem and AP Physics with him back in high school and he always had high marks (the kid never had a lower than a B on our AP exams) and he recieved all 4s on the AP-Examinations for those classes, I think. Its a shame he didnt' go straight to undergrad, but despite that fact, he has a larger advantage over me and my other friends considering his experience as an RN in the ER and tele unit.

So, if you have a will, then there definately is a way. Just make sure you get high marks on those MCATs and study study study! lol. If you want to buy kaplan/review books email me at: [email protected]
I have 2 sets of Kaplan/mcat review books that i'm finished with.

Peace out

Feli said: "The only disadvantages I see are that you can't probably can't do a dual degree (MBA, MPH, MS, etc) without having a bachelor's degree first."

Not true. There is a Masters of Health Profession Education (M.P.H.E.)program at AZPOD that you can do w/ 90 credit hours AND concurrent enrollment in professional program (i.e. Podiatry). It teaches things geared toward curricular development and academia.

Benefits:
Finish school early and save $$$

Down Side:

Respect, honestly, I think that having a BA/BS gives both you and your future profession a little more credibility.

Plus, all those boring elective classes in college can really come in handy when dealing with patients and their interests.

If it were me, I'd finish my 1st degree and then drink the podiatry tea.

I applied to Scholl without a BS. I had already made up my mind that i wanted to be a DPM. So i thought it was silly to waste 1yr and $40000 (tuition +housing) of final year. I was just prolonging things. So i decided not to do my final year.

One disadvantage that i think is, god forbid you drop out of DPM, then basically you are a zero because you have no degree at all.

I think BS / License in allied health (RN, Pharmacy, Radiography, MRI, Dental Hygeine, Med Technologist) really helps as you can work few hours and make some extra money.

did the admissions dept question your decision when you interviewed? will you get a BS granted once you complete your first year?

I thought i saw some other school that did that...not sure may have been some other program i'm thinking of. :confused:

did the admissions dept question your decision when you interviewed? will you get a BS granted once you complete your first year?

I thought i saw some other school that did that...not sure may have been some other program i'm thinking of. :confused:

You have to talk to the admission's department of whichever school you are interested in. Many schools offer similar programs where you can receive your BS in school.

You have to talk to the admission's department of whichever school you are interested in. Many schools offer similar programs where you can receive your BS in school.

i am already admitted to Scholl for fall (got BS degree). i was just curious if the admissions officer and/or interviewer were curious about his decision.

No they never asked that question. But if they wud have asked then i was gonna say them that iam interested in the BS program you offer.

Scholl has a BS program which anyone without a BS degree is eligible. You dont need to sign up for it right at the beginning. even after 1 yr you can go to registar's office, fill up the form. sumbit your transcripts from other colleges indicating you have completed the required course work (general courses, basic science courses,english courses, humanities, social sciences stuff) and pay $25 and thats it you have ur BS degree. Atleast this is what they said to me. And this makes sense also as the first year we will be doing all advanced science courses.:thumbup:

And its also in Student's catalog. So you can check that if you need more info.