Appreciate help with number of residency applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
I've got a ~450 on level 1, no step 1 score. Level 2 score isn't back yet, not sure how it'll look. Graduating from a newish DO school, did really well on rotations, and will have good letters of rec from sub-I peds and third years in IM, psych, and outpatient peds. Any idea on how many programs I should apply to? I know a lot of people apply to like 20-30, but I'm thinking like 90-100. Is this insane? I really only want to do pediatrics, so I'm willing to apply really broadly. I'll apply to FM or psych as back-up, but peds is my goal.

Members don't see this ad.

I've got a ~450 on level 1, no step 1 score. Level 2 score isn't back yet, not sure how it'll look. Graduating from a newish DO school, did really well on rotations, and will have good letters of rec from sub-I peds and third years in IM, psych, and outpatient peds. Any idea on how many programs I should apply to? I know a lot of people apply to like 20-30, but I'm thinking like 90-100. Is this insane? I really only want to do pediatrics, so I'm willing to apply really broadly. I'll apply to FM or psych as back-up, but peds is my goal.
90-100 may or may not be overkill, but I'd definitely apply to more than 20-30. If you can afford it, 90-100 won't hurt anything. Definitely focus on programs with a lot of DOs. I think you have a good shot at matching, but you need to be prepared to go to undesirable locations, and go on as many interviews as you get. Going to a prestigious program isn't as important in peds as it is in IM (for fellowship opportunities, etc., so you'll likely be fine wherever you match. Best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile