Does gold humanism have much of an impact on fellowship applications?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dextor2003

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if being awarded GHHS during residency carries as much weight for fellowship applications as it does for residency apps?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering if being awarded GHHS during residency carries as much weight for fellowship applications as it does for residency apps?
What do you get it for? I think I’ve seen it on applications, but I generally ignore those things... kinda like AOA. That being said, maybe it matters to somebody.

I don’t remember if I designated it on my fellowship ERAS, but it didn’t come up in any of my interviews, so I’m gonna say that it’s not as important, or at least not as widely known about. That said, it’s certainly something worthwhile to put on your app, especially as few residents are nominated compared to students.

@SurfingDoctor GHHS is a national honor society similar to AOA, except it’s less about grades, and more about being a ‘humanistic’ physician. Typically, people are nominated and inducted after their third year of medical school, and often the medical students vote for residents, fellows, and attendings to be inducted as well (sounds like OP was nominated as a resident).