Approaching a professor about their lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Palam

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I did a quick search and found nothing. I'm at the point where I need to get into a lab and start doing research. I have no actual conception of how hard it is to get into a lab here (University of Mass.) but I'm assuming it will be tough.

I took a Neuroscience class last semester, enjoyed it very much and did well. I'm interesting in asking the professor of that class if I can get involved with her lab.

My plan was to just walk into her office and show testicular fortitude but another student said I should "definitely email her" and attach my resume and availability.

Is there a more "appropriate" way to go about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Ask nicely. Email is a good introduction but don't be surprised if they do not reply right away. These guys are busy. If its been a few weeks then email again. Keep your email short and strait to the point. They will be more likely to read it. State your purpose clearly in the subject line at the top.

Generally PI's like volunteers. You are free. They like free. They don't like incompetent volunteers and usually there are more than enough of you to go around so prove that you are serious. If you make a time commitments for the amount of time that you can be there per week then keep it. If you don't then you may find out the hard way that you are not welcome there any longer.

Be nice and show them that you are seriously committed to being in the lab and you will be just fine. Hope that helps.

I'm also currently in a Psychology class where the professor runs her own lab as well. In fact, I participated in one of her hormonal experiments just last week and was really intrigued. I will approach her Monday after I've taken my test Friday.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I did a quick search and found nothing. I'm at the point where I need to get into a lab and start doing research. I have no actual conception of how hard it is to get into a lab here (University of Mass.) but I'm assuming it will be tough.

I took a Neuroscience class last semester, enjoyed it very much and did well. I'm interesting in asking the professor of that class if I can get involved with her lab.

My plan was to just walk into her office and show testicular fortitude but another student said I should "definitely email her" and attach my resume and availability.

Is there a more "appropriate" way to go about this?

do definitely email her, attach your resume and ask to come in and talk about working in her lab. I would be annoyed if a student just walked into my office and expected me to drop what I was doing to talk to them right that second.

as for the psych prof you are going to approach: express your interest and ask if there is a time to come in and talk to her about working in her lab.

Be polite and respectful of the fact that these are busy people who may have more requests than they can accommodate.

Awesome, such great insight on these boards!

I will email the professor this weekend after reading up on some studies and come Monday, I will make an appointment with my Psych. professor to discuss the lab.

Thank you

I would be annoyed if a student just walked into my office and expected me to drop what I was doing to talk to them right that second.

Well, if a student wanders in on Friday at 5:00 pm that's one thing. But if the student shows up during your "office hours" then I'd say it's your job to drop what you're doing and talk to them. That's precisely what office hours are for!

What do you guys think of this email? I figured it was concise and the professor and I can talk in person about details.

Dear Doctor XXXX,

As a student currently enrolled in your Learning and Thinking lecture, I have become familiar with your laboratory work in gonadal hormones and their effect on primate and human physiology. I was especially inspired when I participated in your Effects of Testosterone on Emotion and Cognition experiment last week.

As someone who considers himself to be ambitious, introspective and analytical, I believe I could contribute greatly to your work. Furthermore, an opportunity to become involved in your work would provide an unparalleled learning experience. I have an incredible respect for animals and in my spare time I enjoy reading about nutrition, exercise and physiology.

Attached is my resume, references and availability. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thank you for your time.

my name
phone number
email

I ended up saying "what the hell" and I sent it two days ago. She replied that it was too late for this semester but that next fall she will have slots open. I'm in the midst of making an appointment with her now to talk about it.

I'm really excited and hope I get to work with some monkeys!:laugh: