approaching optometrists for internship and shadowing opportunities

alliecat415

10+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
What is the best way to do this? I'm getting ready to start a pre-optometry post-bacc program and I want to get in some shadowing beforehand to be sure. It would be really helpful if the shadowing turned into a paid opportunity of some kind. I'm wondering if anyone out there who has had some first hand experience with this has any helpful suggestions. Thanks.

A

Andy785

10+ Year Member
May 17, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
I have had a first-hand experience with what you are trying to do. I go to school at Penn State and over the summer, I emailed an optometrist at this practice called Nittany Eye Associates here in State College. He was very helpful, and arranged a date for me to come down and shadow him. The practice is extremely busy; there are 6 optometrists and they each see about 30 patients a day. While I was there, I didn't have a great amount of time to talk one on one with him since he was so busy but whenever I had a chance, I asked him questions about the profession. As I was leaving, I noticed there were other people working there as technicians and I just casually asked him if they needed any extra help several days a week. My intention was not to get a paid job, but to just get extra experience to put on my application. As it turns out, they were extremely short handed at the time, and he offered me a position as an optometric technician on the spot. I started the job 3 weeks ago, and it has been an excellent experience. I do lots of pre-testing (auto-refraction, peripheral field tests, visual acuities, Non-contact tonometry, Optomap testing, OCT testing, as well as dilations and ordering contact lenses). I would have done all of this for free but getting a small pay each week is definitely an added bonus. My advise to you is to be enthusiastic and seem interested in the field. Maybe you will be as lucky as I was!

About the Ads

alferec

Future Army OD
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
Fullerton, CA
www.optstudent.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometry Student
What is the best way to do this? I'm getting ready to start a pre-optometry post-bacc program and I want to get in some shadowing beforehand to be sure. It would be really helpful if the shadowing turned into a paid opportunity of some kind. I'm wondering if anyone out there who has had some first hand experience with this has any helpful suggestions. Thanks.

A

Check this out: http://www.optstudent.com/ugfocus.html#shadowing

Let me know if you need more help...good luck!

JMU07

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 16, 2006
VA
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
alliecat,

I went to my own optometrist and asked him if he would mind me shadowing him for a few weeks over the summer. He ended up giving me an actual job, which was great because I got paid. However, I would have been perfectly okay with not getting paid, as long as I was getting some experience. I didn't get to shadow too much since I was mostly working with billing/insurance and working on the front desk, but I'm planning on getting at least SOME experience shadowing when I go back home for Christmas, if not next summer as well.

I've also thought about shadowing here at college, but haven't done anything about it yet. My plan was to call a few private offices here (since I worked adjacent to a Pearle Vision this summer, I want something different) and see what they could do for me.

Good luck! :)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.