You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
appropriate bag to carry for interviews?
Started by Dulcina
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
What sort of bag is appropriate to carry around during interview day? I was thinking either a skinny briefcase type thing, or just a leather binder (the kind that has a clipped in notepad and slots for cards). Would either of these work?
Those two options are what I saw most often on the interview trail, the leather binder being the most popular option. They're most likely going to give you a folder of information, so you don't need to worry about bringing anything to big.
To the poster above, a backpack isn't really necessary and I never saw anyone with one. If you have one, leave it in your car or in the Admissions Office. They usually will have someplace for you to store things while you're there.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
there were a lot of leather binders.
i personally carried a Nine West purse large enough to hold folders that schools give out.
Either way would be fine.
i personally carried a Nine West purse large enough to hold folders that schools give out.
Either way would be fine.
there were a lot of leather binders.
i personally carried a Nine West purse large enough to hold folders that schools give out.
Either way would be fine.
I just bought a big nine west purse too. it's dark grey to go with my navy and grey suits. something professional looking but big enough to put folders in is what i'd go for.
I think I'm going to go with this option too. 👍
A small purse should be just fine. I carried a leather binder and a small purse but after the interviews I realized the binder wasn't necessary since schools usually give you a folder full of papers you can write on to take notes. You can just carry that folder along with a small purse for your wallet and keys. You could get the big purse (people are most likely talking about the type that holds a laptop) to carry the folder but only if you're comfortable carrying it around.
I think I'm going to go with this option too. 👍
I also just bought a black nine west tote bag. I can't find pics of the exact one online, though.Leather folder is more than enough. Most places give you a folder packet so yours is usually unnecessary
N
njbmd
What sort of bag is appropriate to carry around during interview day? I was thinking either a skinny briefcase type thing, or just a leather binder (the kind that has a clipped in notepad and slots for cards). Would either of these work?
The best bag to carry is one that:
- Allows easy access to materials that you need quickly without small scraps of paper or cards dropping out.
- Isn't heavy or doesn't have a shoulder strap.
- Holds everything that you need without looking "overstuffed".
- Looks professional; no Snoopy bookbags or loud colors.
I simply carried a small dark purse and a folder with paper clips for holding cards inside. I could write one or two notes on the outside of the folder as needed. I also had my trip itinerary written on the outside of the folder too.
For men: Carry a portfolio or folder
This is what I'm going to put all the interview materials in:
I was gonna bring my poodle puppy "Kristen" to hold the folders in her mouth, I'll have a leash too of course, that would be so cute. Maybe I'll do it for one of the interviews once I'm accepted somewhere, just to see what happens. I'm guessing female adcoms would totally fall for it
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
that aint cute. My Kristen makes all the girls on campus go awwww when I bring her in my backpack to class. She behaves really well too so my TA's love her too and the profs don't even notice because she doesn't bark
OMG I just thought of the perfect idea. I can put Kristen in the pocket of my suite, we'd be like kangaroos!
We're supposed to bring a bag? Or is this only for chicks?
Medical schools do not discriminate against any persons on the basis of age, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, nor do they discriminate against any U.S. citizen or permanent resident on the basis of national origin. Medical schools comply with all laws and regulations concerning persons with disabilities or veteran status. 😉We're supposed to bring a bag? Or is this only for chicks?
Medical schools do not discriminate against any persons on the basis of age, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, nor do they discriminate against any U.S. citizen or permanent resident on the basis of national origin. Medical schools comply with all laws and regulations concerning persons with disabilities or veteran status. 😉
Yeah, but what would we bring in a bag? I had the plan of just showing up and interviewing.
I wouldn't bring a bag or briefcase or anything unless you just absolutely have to.
We're supposed to bring a bag? Or is this only for chicks?
i think it's more for the ladies. i don't think i could function for an entire day without my lipgloss, cell phone, and various random other supplies. that's why i went with the black Nine West. I like to consolidate everything to one bag. I just wouldn't go any bigger than I did. I could fit one folder with my necessities comfortably inside.
for guys, at the most, bring a leather folder.
I had the plan of just showing up and interviewing.
I had this plan as well. I wonder what the big secret is 😕. Are they giving out candy?
I had this plan as well. I wonder what the big secret is 😕. Are they giving out candy?
Candy, and a **** load of stuff about their "unique" curriculum.I personally like to have something like a leather folder to hold on to - it helps me to be less fidgety and nervous.
I'll definitely have to go with Optimus Prime lunch box. I mean, you need something so you stand out slightly, but it also has to be professional. Optimus Prime is very professional.
Yeah, I was considering bringing my Astroboy Limited Edition lunch box with me but I think they would frown upon a lunch box with half naked kid on it. Optimus Prime is a much more professional choice.I'll definitely have to go with Optimus Prime lunch box. I mean, you need something so you stand out slightly, but it also has to be professional. Optimus Prime is very professional.
I was gonna bring my poodle puppy "Kristen" to hold the folders in her mouth, I'll have a leash too of course, that would be so cute. Maybe I'll do it for one of the interviews once I'm accepted somewhere, just to see what happens. I'm guessing female adcoms would totally fall for it
They might not appreciate you handing them a saliva-laden copy of your resume, though.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What sort of bag is appropriate to carry around during interview day? I was thinking either a skinny briefcase type thing, or just a leather binder (the kind that has a clipped in notepad and slots for cards). Would either of these work?
I just used a black trash bag at mine. That way it's easier to throw away all the useless crap you'll get.
They might not appreciate you handing them a saliva-laden copy of your resume, though.
They ask for a resume at interviews?
Nobody is going to give a **** what kind of bag you have, as long as it isn't something stupid that will make you stand out.
man, why are you always so angry? you were angry at me in another post, i recallNobody is going to give a **** what kind of bag you have, as long as it isn't something stupid that will make you stand out.
Why would you assume I'm angry?
man, why are you always so angry? you were angry at me in another post, i recall
In his defense, you're particularly easy to be angry towards. 😳
In his defense, you're particularly easy to be angry towards. 😳
i'm easy to be angry towards? errr why? 🙁
is this purse ok? its the purse i carry around with me everyday normally
http://cgi.ebay.com/COACH-7785-leather-Hampton-Demi-Purse-Brown-Bag_W0QQitemZ110283085783QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110283085783&_trkparms=72%3A552%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14
Why would you assume I'm angry?
i dunno, sounds like you're angry in your post!
I'm not.
I'm not.
oh. ok. in that case, i rescind my comment and apologize.
for guys, at the most, bring a leather folder.
I don't think you need to bring anything (i.e. leather binder) if it's just to look good. I guess if the girls think they need to bring lipgloss, etc then sure, but otherwise I'd bring nothing myself if I were in your shoes. I interview med school candidates and it doesn't make one difference to me if you are carrying something or not. You usually end up getting a paper folder anyways with information/advertisement about the program.
I don't think you need to bring anything (i.e. leather binder) if it's just to look good. I guess if the girls think they need to bring lipgloss, etc then sure, but otherwise I'd bring nothing myself if I were in your shoes. I interview med school candidates and it doesn't make one difference to me if you are carrying something or not. You usually end up getting a paper folder anyways with information/advertisement about the program.
I wish I read this post before I went out and bought a $40 leather padfolio after reading first half of this thread
I don't think you need to bring anything (i.e. leather binder) if it's just to look good. I guess if the girls think they need to bring lipgloss, etc then sure, but otherwise I'd bring nothing myself if I were in your shoes. I interview med school candidates and it doesn't make one difference to me if you are carrying something or not. You usually end up getting a paper folder anyways with information/advertisement about the program.
yea that's what i meant. if guys really feel like they may want to take notes or the like, a padfolio would be ok though i really don't know what notes you'd be taking.
i brought a purse as mentioned above because i wouldn't have any other place to put my "essentials" i.e. lip gloss, cell phone, keys, pen, etc. I went with a purse that could fit a folder to consolidate everything in one place.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wish I read this post before I went out and bought a $40 leather padfolio after reading first half of this thread
If it makes you feel any better, I'm still going to get one.
Would it be inappropriate to bring a padfolio with a company logo prominently displayed? I'm interning at a biotech company this summer, and they gave us these really nice padfolios for free, but the front is branded with the company's logo. It's not unprofessional looking or anything, but...
Would it be inappropriate to bring a padfolio with a company logo prominently displayed? I'm interning at a biotech company this summer, and they gave us these really nice padfolios for free, but the front is branded with the company's logo. It's not unprofessional looking or anything, but...
You're actually working there, so I don't think it would be. I know plenty of people who went to med school interviews with padfolios with the emblem of their undergrad on the front.
You're actually working there, so I don't think it would be. I know plenty of people who went to med school interviews with padfolios with the emblem of their undergrad on the front.
I now have an itch to apply to MSU/OSU after reading this post.
But then again, if MSU/OSU reject me pre-interview, I'd /wrist, too much risk for me.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 8
- Views
- 1K
- Replies
- 14
- Views
- 3K