Appropriate Hobbies to mention during interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DubL

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not someone with astounding hobbies that will wow the interviewers like musical or artistic talent. I have hobbies that are more plain like reading, running, and playing video games. I'm not sure if these are even worth mentioning as I feel they won't make me look very good and the interviewer may think I'm lazy. I have other things I'm more interested in but they aren't so much hobbies like I love listening to music but it's a passive hobby. I want to remain myself and be honest but don't want to put off my interviewer with my mundane interests. I guess my question is what is worth mentioning during my interviews?

Members don't see this ad.

You are not going to be rejected from a school because you don't play music or make art in your free time. Questions in interviews are not trick questions and the interviewer really just wants to get to know you. The three you listed are perfectly fine to say just be prepared to talk about each and try to spin it in a way that will help you in school. I said similar ones in my interviews like reading allows me to always be learning and running helps me destress to better handle the hard course loads and multitask more (one of my interviewers ran half marathons and we connected alot more than just surface level so your true hobbies can help you). Be yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
I am not someone with astounding hobbies that will wow the interviewers like musical or artistic talent. I have hobbies that are more plain like reading, running, and playing video games. I'm not sure if these are even worth mentioning as I feel they won't make me look very good and the interviewer may think I'm lazy. I have other things I'm more interested in but they aren't so much hobbies like I love listening to music but it's a passive hobby. I want to remain myself and be honest but don't want to put off my interviewer with my mundane interests. I guess my question is what is worth mentioning during my interviews?

Not everything has to be a dental related hobby. As long as it's not attending a KKK rally, stripping on the weekends, or something that may be considered inappropriate, it's more important to develop a connection with your interviewer. If you said golf and your interviewer loves golf + you can carry on a friendly conversation about it, you develop a positive and memorable connection with your interviewer.

So...
1. Nothing polarizing/sensitive topics
2. Be genuine. Don't try too hard to fake it, because it'll show through.
3. Establish a connection by looking like a genuine human with relatable hobbies.
4. If you do end up talking about hobbies, you need to talk about it like you've been at it for awhile, not picked it up 15 mins ago for the sake of interviewing.

- If you say you like to read, what do you like to read? Non-fiction, fiction, what genre, etc. What are you reading right now? If it may be considered inappropriate or controversial material, do not mention it and be culturally sensitive.
- For running, have you run any marathons, do any training, diet/discipline/regimen (although don't be one of those in your face 26.2 a-holes that rub it in people's faces, that can turn off a good chunk of lazy dentists)
- Video games (don't pick anything too violent or sexual in nature to talk about), pick something relatively benign like WOW. If you pick an MMORPG, be prepared to get secondary questions like what server/class, raiding, guild, just in case you get a gamer interviewing you too or asking if they should play that game.

Reactions: 1 user