Appropriate Questions to Ask Interviewer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edawgmd

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be having my first DO interview soon and wanted to start preparing some questions. I have only interviewed at 2 MD schools in a previous cycle (didn't apply DO) and all my interviewers loved to ask if I had any questions for them. This time, I want to be prepared. I want to show them I did my homework, but it's also a great opportunity for me to know the schools as well. Just wanted to make sure my questions are appropriate.

1) Definitely going to ask about rotations for 3rd and 4th year. Requirements, electives, affiliates, locations etc.

2) The school I am interviewing at has two different paths for the first 2 years. One is traditional lecture based and the other is case-based learning in small groups. I think it would be good to ask about the this.

3) May I ask about Step 1 and COMLEX scores, pass rates, and averages? Couldn't find this on their site.

4) Residency placement and resources for different specialties. I'm a bit iffy on this one because most DOs go into primary care even though schools say they will support whatever interest/specialty the student wants. *I have no clue which field I want to go into, but don't want to seem like I wanted MD to specialize, but didn't get in and want to see if I can do it as a DO.*

5) I am the most curious about this question. With the merger coming in 2020 and if I am accepted this cycle, I will be class of 2021, I would like to know if they will be changing their curriculum to better prepare students for Step 1. Although COMLEX is still required, I am assuming Step 1 is also a must after the merger, so will the school be providing new resources? I know plenty of DOs match into ACGME residencies now, but those who graduate before 2020 have the option of only taking COMLEX and matching AOA. Most DO schools are geared towards COMLEX and some DO students have noted difficulties transitioning to prepare for Step 1. Seems like I'm jumping the gun, but I just want to do thorough research before investing $300k into the next 4 years of my life.

Feel free to leave your input on my questions or your own experiences, and thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I think all your questions are fine.

I think the standard curriculum at DO schools is sufficient for the usmle. People say the usmle has more biochemistry, but I actually had more biochemistry on my comlex level 1 than my usmle step 1. I had more statistic questions on the usmle, though.

I'd recommend that you take the usmle if you attend a DO school.

For now, this assumption is wrong.
Wouldn't bother me one bit if it stays wrong :claps:

I think all your questions are fine.

I think the standard curriculum at DO schools is sufficient for the usmle. People say the usmle has more biochemistry, but I actually had more biochemistry on my comlex level 1 than my usmle step 1. I had more statistic questions on the usmle, though.

I'd recommend that you take the usmle if you attend a DO school.

I've been reading the forums and that is the general consensus for DO students. No one knows what will happen after merger, so it feels like Step 1 is an unstated requirement for those graduating after 2020. The website says the merger will take place July of 2020 and I'm guessing this means class of 2021 will be the first to utilize the new system :yeahright:... scary stuff.

Care to share a quick recap of your experiences with both Step 1 and comlex? Will be much appreciated!

I've been reading the forums and that is the general consensus for DO students. No one knows what will happen after merger, so it feels like Step 1 is an unstated requirement for those graduating after 2020. The website says the merger will take place July of 2020 and I'm guessing this means class of 2021 will be the first to utilize the new system :yeahright:... scary stuff.

Care to share a quick recap of your experiences with both Step 1 and comlex? Will be much appreciated!

They both basically cover the same stuff minus the OMM part for the comlex. The questions on the usmle are longer, but you can usually just read the last sentence and get the right answer, hah.

I think the board review options for the usmle is more complete. If you hammer away with all of the high yield usmle resources it is unlikely you'll encounter a new topic on test day. The comlex, on the other hand, can have some really esoteric stuff on it, which you cannot really study for.

I personally thought comlex level 1 was harder than step1. I didn't take step2 because I had a good step 1 score. Comlex level 2 and level 3 were more fair than level 1 (less random esoteric stuff).

Board exams are a little different than other standard tests. They're pretty much all memorization. If you want to do well doing a bunch of practice questions is the key to a high score.

Taking the usmle, even today, will open more doors for you. I would argue having an average usmle score is more beneficial than having a 90th+ percentile comlex score. My program, for instance, has a 220 usmle score (40thish percentile) or a 600 comlex (80thish percentile) cutoff requirement.

Step 1 is not required and most likely never will be. You can take it if you wanna apply to programs that DO require it, but COMLEX is still going to be good for the DO friendly ACGME residencies as far as we know now.

They both basically cover the same stuff minus the OMM part for the comlex. The questions on the usmle are longer, but you can usually just read the last sentence and get the right answer, hah.

I think the board review options for the usmle is more complete. If you hammer away with all of the high yield usmle resources it is unlikely you'll encounter a new topic on test day. The comlex, on the other hand, can have some really esoteric stuff on it, which you cannot really study for.

I personally thought comlex level 1 was harder than step1. I didn't take step2 because I had a good step 1 score. Comlex level 2 and level 3 were more fair than level 1 (less random esoteric stuff).

Board exams are a little different than other standard tests. They're pretty much all memorization. If you want to do well doing a bunch of practice questions is the key to a high score.

Taking the usmle, even today, will open more doors for you. I would argue having an average usmle score is more beneficial than having a 90th+ percentile comlex score. My program, for instance, has a 220 usmle score (40thish percentile) or a 600 comlex (80thish percentile) cutoff requirement.

Thanks for the input! I guess it varies from person to person. I take it with a grain of salt, but some people on SDN preach that comlex was a joke compared to step 1, and obviously thought step 1 was harder. But from what you are saying, the two exams seem to have a good amount differences. Only way to find out is when I get there myself!

I had no idea you can do a mix and match for boards though. So different residency programs have different requirements? I thought if you took step 1 then you would be taking step 2 and 3 as well. Granted I did hear from current med students that step 2 is a waste of time.

Thanks for the input! I guess it varies from person to person. I take it with a grain of salt, but some people on SDN preach that comlex was a joke compared to step 1, and obviously thought step 1 was harder. But from what you are saying, the two exams seem to have a good amount differences. Only way to find out is when I get there myself!

I had no idea you can do a mix and match for boards though. So different residency programs have different requirements? I thought if you took step 1 then you would be taking step 2 and 3 as well. Granted I did hear from current med students that step 2 is a waste of time.

DOs must take all levels of the comlex, and I think you need to take them in sequential order. This is a requirement to get a medical license as a DO.

DOs, in general, cannot get a medical license with usmle scores alone. The reason DO students take the usmle is so acgme program directors can compare apples to apples, so to speak.

DOs, at least when I was a student, could take any usmle step level they wanted even if they didn't take the preceding step. I know someone who took comlex level 1 at the end of their 2nd year. Then they took comlex level 2 and usmle level 2 as a 3rd year. Then they took usmle step 1 as a 4th year.

Reactions: 1 user